+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New guy

Default New guy

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum and just boiled my first sap! I'm hooked. I limited myself to five buckets to start out with, but I'm already planning to expand. I'm boiling on a cinder block arch with two ss buffet pans.

Hey Buffalo, welcome to the madness! Your setup sounds like just what you need at this stage...lots of homemade setups here. I'm only on 6 trees so will never have a huge setup, buffet pans are all I need.
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Plaid View Post
    Hey everyone, I just joined this forum and just boiled my first sap! I'm hooked. I limited myself to five buckets to start out with, but I'm already planning to expand. I'm boiling on a cinder block arch with two ss buffet pans.
    Welcome from your northern neighbour. I started on the ole block arch with ss trays. Following year I upgraded to a flat pan on the blocks, then built a barrel evaporator to put the pan on, finally this year moved up to a manufactured rig with raised flues. Once you've been bit by the maple bug there's no turning back. There's always something else to purchase, more trees to tap and it never seems to end but we all love to do it. I know it'll be many years before i see a return on investment but it's not all about the money. My son loves to get out there with me to tap, check buckets and hangs around a little during the boil. Can't wait till he wants to go collect everything himself lol. It's a great hobby to get into that can lead to getting paid depending how much and how fast you want you want to make it back. Good luck with the season and I'm sure we'll hear from you soon !
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Plaid View Post
    Welcome. I'm also in Mass. I started 15 years ago just as you did on cement blocks.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Welcome aboard Buffalo. I started back in the 70's, small time for family use only. Then in 2003 I decided to do it "for real". That year I bought a used Half Pint and made 10.5 gal and I actually sold about 7 gal of that. You can't escape the addiction once you get started. It is great family fun and the exercise is really good this time of year especially.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread