+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slow going

Post Slow going

The start of this season already isn't looking good for me. Pulled a whopping 15 gallons of sap from 75 buckets today and they've been in a week. I can't wait to go vacuum. These buckets will be the death of me, I don't seem to get good runs from any of my trees. Hope everyone has a good season.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

The temperatures haven't ideal here and the vacuum hasn't pulled in much here yet. I finished tapping Saturday morning and turned on the vacuum Saturday afternoon. By the end of the day I had pulled in about 80 gallons from 715 taps. Yesterday wasn't much better but I did finish getting the lines flushed and started saving the sap around 3:00. at 6:30 when it froze up I had 100 gallons in the tank. With Buckets you probably wont see much until next weekend. You will get something late today but I don't know how long it will run for you without a freeze which isn't going to happen until Thursday. Hang in there, it's still early.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I was all excited yesterday it was flowing HARD at noon but that only lasted about 2 hours, and its 14 here right now, so everything is froze up. Its slow going here too.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Gota remember it is only the 3rd week in February, still a long ways to go before sugaring is over.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Yes I know it's still early and am hoping that it turns around. From past experiences it's started this slow and stayed this slow all season until it came to an abrupt stop. Granted I'm tapping virgin trees on my new property this year so don't really know what to expect, all I can do is hope for the best. I'm about to be looking to buy sap just to get some use out of my new rig. The wife won't be to happy if I don't use it that much this year and neither will I.
    2018 - ?? 2x5 lapierre raised flue evaporator

2017 - 150 taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2016 - 230 taps taps mixed 2.5 x 4 evaporator

2015 - 115 taps mixed buckets, bags and, water jugs. 2.5 x 4 evaporator.

2014 - 55 taps mixed buckets, bags and, drop lines. 4 steam trays and a block arch. 3 gallons made tapped prematurely (lesson learned)

slow going everywhere I was hoping to make some January syrup but it never happened. it was flowing good on Friday hardest I have seen it coming in yet. but when the nights are too cold it takes too long for things to really get going. the majority of my woods are pretty cold too so they need the warmer temps not sun (because it doesn't reach them very good. unfortunately the neighboring lot is loaded with hemlock so very little light gets through back there.

don't worry things will break loose. and if you go to vacuum that evap is gonna get real small real quick!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

+ Reply to Thread