+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick 2018

Marvel26, That is awesome. Must've done well today too. My trees that weren't doing anything ran a bit today. I think I may have done better already this year than last,lol. I haven't kept records in the past, but have so far this year. I tapped my limit for this year after work tonight. Only 19 taps total,but that's all I can handle it they run good.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkNB View Post
    Just came in from putting in another batch of taps, about 18 yesterday (Feb 24) all of which were running, then another 40 or so today, not running. Hoping to do 80-90 this year. And I have to agree with those that had a terrible year last year, we did too. Although I heard elsewhere like some places in Quebec had record years. Sure wasn't the case here. Fingers crossed, the forecast isn't perfect, but it does appear there will be cold overnights and above freezing during the day.
    How did you make out today? Mine started to run pretty good. Tomorrow looks like it'll be a good one too. I wish I could take all maple season off of work,lol.

165 gal of sap so far. That's not a bad start. I will try not to get my hopes up as my Reds are sporadic..
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

All tapped at home and at woodlot. 90 taps in all, most ran well at home in Fredericton, lots of snow in my yard so they are slower than the woodlot tipically. We’ll head there on Saturday and see how we did.
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2016 - 12 taps, propane boiler 6L
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L
    1.5x6 CDL Econo Evaporator

Default 1st time Maple noob

My wife gave me a kit as a gift and I just drilled the two taps into the largest of backyard red maples this morning. The buckets are already collecting sap. I can't believe how easy this is! I need more taps lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Maplefrix View Post
    My wife gave me a kit as a gift and I just drilled the two taps into the largest of backyard red maples this morning. The buckets are already collecting sap. I can't believe how easy this is! I need more taps lol.
    Good luck! It get harder as the addiction grows. I collected 500L of sap from 73 taps today with the help of my father and father in law. Now I have probably 10-15H of boiling to do. This one week was better than 3 last year!
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L

We started today, it's been hard to hold off until now! We will be ready by Thursday probably, by the time we repair lines, replace drops & get tapping done. Too much snow to run any new black branch lines this year. We usually have the warm early weather, then it turns cold for awhile, hopefully that won't happen this year.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

I'm really surprised that the trees are producing during these past few days of clouds and wind. It's not full tilt, but still better than last year. I have surpassed last year as well. I'm envious of the folks that can evaporate so much sap so quickly, compared to my small amount that takes a looking time.

Weather has delayed things this week, hopefully finish repairing & tapping today. Replacing drops & tees is time consuming. Probably could run a bit later today, but lots of cleaning to do before we save sap.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

I am working on my second batch. First batch boiled last Saturday came up to the right temperature but now seems thin in the bottle. I seem to remember my first run in previous years was a bit thin and really light like this too... lower sugar content or should I bring it up to 221+ vs the 219.5 or 220 I usually shoot for?
    Last edited by Big Daddy's Sugar Shack; 03-11-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast