+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Brunswick 2018

Default New Brunswick 2018

Just wondering who has taps out yet?

I missed two great weeks, the last week of January and this week just past were amazing but unfortunately work got in the way. I put 2/3rds of my taps in this weekend ~90ish. The small trees were flowing but the larger ones haven't started pumping yet. I did put 3/16 out on one run which has about a 12% slope....fingers crossed that works as well as the research says it does!
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2016 - 101 taps, 550 gallons of sap, ~10 gallons of syrup all dark.
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

Just started putting our taps in this weekend, got about 350 done another 75 or so to finish tomorrow nothing flowing yet to cold in our area, but things are looking good for next week, at least we'll be ready.
    675 taps

I put four taps in Feb 15th as forecast was calling for ideal temps. I got roughly a gallan of sap just over night from two taps with tubing going to one bucket. The two trees more in the woods didn't do much. I tapped a couple more on the 18th, it was a nice day. Both ran right away but didn't yield alot. I've only emptied the two going to one bucket so far and have 11 litres of sap. Hopefully I won't miss a good run. Last year was terrible. I only have about 20 taps, I will wait until it picks up before doing the rest.

I have not tapped yet. Last year I tapped early and feel like nothing ran well. Could have been the year, could have been the early tap... either way family can get together March 3rd to tap, so that's the day 75 taps go in at the woodlot. I might do the 15 around my house this weekend....

Here's hoping for a better year than last year.

Good Luck!
    Geoff
    Big Daddy's Sugar Shack
    2014 - 4 Taps
    2015 - 8 Taps
    2016 - 12 taps, propane boiler 6L
    2017 - 100 Taps, 24L
    2018 - 100 Taps, 100L
    1.5x6 CDL Econo Evaporator

I just finished all my taps....well I have been asked to put some in on yet another neighbour's yard so I will put more in in the next few weeks. Almost every tap was giving sap, and lots of it. I only have one run of 12 sugar maples with the 3/16 line and that 55 gal drum is over 1/3rd full! The reds are all giving sap nicely....hopefully the season is long this year.

Maple Lady, based on your location you are not very far away from me ;-)

Rob
    2014 - 6 buckets, 4 coffee cans and a propane burner - almost 40L of sap and 1.6L of syrup
    2015 - 103 taps on gravity. Homemade oil tank arch and a Smoky Lake 2' X 5' hybrid. - 2.66 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 138 taps, 225 gallons of sap, 5.55 gallons of dark syrup, still procrastinating on the vac.
    2018 - ~150 taps, I lost track of the sap it was incredible!, over 20 gal of syrup, all dark.

Marvel26,
    Hopefully this will be a good week. I boiled a very small batch yesterday and my best tree was running like a tap, �� I don't have all my taps out, time factor. Work is really interfering with life,lol. I converted an old wood chief stove to an evaporator for this year, it works better than the old cook stove, but I still need to do improvements to make it more efficient. I wish I could find some ceramic blanket. The shipping is so expensive to Canada. The budget is very limited.

Just came in from putting in another batch of taps, about 18 yesterday (Feb 24) all of which were running, then another 40 or so today, not running. Hoping to do 80-90 this year. And I have to agree with those that had a terrible year last year, we did too. Although I heard elsewhere like some places in Quebec had record years. Sure wasn't the case here. Fingers crossed, the forecast isn't perfect, but it does appear there will be cold overnights and above freezing during the day.

I just heard back from the land owner with the sugar maples, 12 taps on 3/16th, 2 days of actual running...30 gal of sap so far. If only i had more high slope trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Lady View Post
    Marvel26,
    Hopefully this will be a good week. I boiled a very small batch yesterday and my best tree was running like a tap, �� I don't have all my taps out, time factor. Work is really interfering with life,lol. I converted an old wood chief stove to an evaporator for this year, it works better than the old cook stove, but I still need to do improvements to make it more efficient. I wish I could find some ceramic blanket. The shipping is so expensive to Canada. The budget is very limited.
    You probably can get ceramic blanket from Briggs Maple in Moncton. I got some in my area from Royal View Maples & they use some of the same suppliers.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

Quote Originally Posted by murferd View Post
    You probably can get ceramic blanket from Briggs Maple in Moncton. I got some in my area from Royal View Maples & they use some of the same suppliers.
    Thanks for the info, I'll check them out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast