+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple equipment standards

Default Maple equipment standards

I have a Grimm/Leader Stainless Soldered (lead free) evaporator from the early 1990's. I am wondering about my equipment and whether it will continue to test as appropriate. It came with Copper fittings and pipes in the flue pan, and brass fittings between pans. Also the fittings for the thermometers in the syrup pan are copper. float fittings are brass in both pans. site glass fittings are brass as well. Is my equipment adequate to todays task? does it meet standards? If not might I not be able to have the fittings replaced with stainless. I can find no definitive standards documentation to let me know where I stand presently. Please advise.
    Thank You,
    Tom Mallette
    Hermitage Maple

To answer that, get a lead test kit from a hardware store. Brass used to contain lead, current brass is leadfree.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    To answer that, get a lead test kit from a hardware store. Brass used to contain lead, current brass is leadfree.
    Actually there is still brass out there with lead in it. The stuff that I have seen like at the farm store and that usually has a state of Cal. label or something to that effect warning of lead and cancer. But correct, more lead free brass is out there than what used to be, just have to double check more to make sure that it is.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

My flue pan float valve is brass and gear pump on my filter press (16 years old) and don't think they are lead free. I'm sure the FDA inspector will let me know.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 04-01-2018 at 10:51 AM.

In reference to the brass gear pump, mine was needing a rebuild, that's when I switched to an pneumatic powered diaphragm pump, one of the best upgrades I ever made.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Overheard Bruce Bascom in a conversation stating that Grimm went lead free in 1991 and Leader in 1994.My Grimm Lighting pans are 1991 and I did check them w/lead test kit...lead free.Never thought to ckeck all the fittings with the kit. If you can change out the fittings go for it, but I know some some are odd balls like the flue pan to syrup pan valve.

Default What about copper?

Ive a copper heat exchanger I built and soldered with lead free solder. Is copper a no no nowadays?

+ Reply to Thread