+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evaporating sap color?

Default Evaporating sap color?

I am cooking our first batch of sap, 2 pams on a block arch and 1 in a pan on a propane fryer. The two on the wood fire are steaming good and the sap is clear, if anything, getting a "syrup" tint to it as it gets a little amber to it. The one on the propane is getting kind of cloudy though. They are all cooking at about the same temp, between 225 and 235. Here is a pic of the "cloudy" stuffIMG_3019.jpg. I have about 13-15 gallons going and it was all perfectly clear to start. Here is a pic of the other stuff that seems to still be clear with the exception of getting a syrup tint starting. IMG_3020.jpg

Somebody please tell me i havent messed something up!!!

Looks fine.

They both look absolutely perfect! I hope you and your little helpers have a lot of fun this year.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring View Post
    I am cooking our first batch of sap, 2 pams on a block arch and 1 in a pan on a propane fryer. The two on the wood fire are steaming good and the sap is clear, if anything, getting a "syrup" tint to it as it gets a little amber to it. The one on the propane is getting kind of cloudy though. They are all cooking at about the same temp, between 225 and 235. Here is a pic of the "cloudy" stuffAttachment 17663. I have about 13-15 gallons going and it was all perfectly clear to start. Here is a pic of the other stuff that seems to still be clear with the exception of getting a syrup tint starting. Attachment 17664

Somebody please tell me i havent messed something up!!!
    Couple observations! Not trying to be critical. Your doing good!
    1 I would say its not boiling. If it was the sap would be boiling over the sides of your pan. You may want to lower the level a couple inches.
    2. I would guess that the temp is not 225 and 235 degrees F. If it was you would be well beyond syrup which is usually around 217 to 219 F. May check your thermometer in boiling water on the stove.
    3. The cloudiness may just be that is starting to boil in that pan???

Keep going!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Thanks for the replies!

Chris, i had just added new sap to both pans, so it stopped the boiling. I was using my fryer thermometer, caertainly may be off. When up to temp, it boils fairly good. Certainly not enough to go over the edges, but a good rolling boil. We've cooked about 15-17 gallons down to about 4 or so gallons, in 2 different pans. Im hoping to get one pan to where we can try to finish it tonight so the girls can get a taste. Couldnt get my 7 year old to stop smelling the steam ;^). When we go to finish, i will notice where it starts to boil and run it 7 more degrees and keep it cooking there. I dont have anything to measure sugar content, so i was planning to just go til we really like the taste. Thanks again everybody

+ Reply to Thread