+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correcting forest that was top graded

I've seen my fair share of bad logging Jobs, and there is definitely a bunch of hacks out there, but I have to stick up for a lot of them. Many of the high grade cutting is what the current land owner wants, most of it is land that was handed down from previous generations and the kids want there money so they smoke the wood off it and then put up a for sale sign. I see it all the time, you can't blame it on the logger no more than you can blame Leader for building a new evaporator that you just had to have. If you had your woods cut and didn't get what you wanted it's probably on you, if you didn't get paid your stumpage then that's on the logger.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I wish other people cared about nature a little more. On top of the top grading the prior owner killed an oak with a 15' circumference due to dozing a road and putting in gravel 15 feet from the tree. It was still standing dead when we got the property. We had it dropped due to being in an unsafe location, and it has heated my house all winter.

You just can't replace a tree like that.

I have friends who think I am crazy for trying to manage and improve my little forest (20 acres of forest). They all think it will just take care of itself with no help. I try to explain how cutting some trees down helps the others, grows the selected trees faster, speeds up the maturation of the forest, and is can improve the habitat for wildlife, and they look at me like I'm crazy.

They would rather have a 1/8 acre lot with no leaves to rake and only need to do a dozen passes with a push mower. Maybe I am crazy.

It will take care of itself if given enough time. However when you manage it properly you can cut that time by a big margin.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have to agree with n8hutch that there are many good loggers. It also true that it is on you if you get a poor job. If you care you take care of business and vet out who works on your land and you lay down the rules in a contract. I am lucky my family has loggers in it and we have a long history of forest management. I over heard some loggers talking once about logging on my cousin's land (he had marked a sale) and one told the other (who was a hack) that he was stupid for bidding on our timber. The crux of the conversation was guy #1 was a good reputable logger who was telling logger #2 he couldn't operate on my cousin's land like it was used to, the quote was "those people have a whole bunch of rules you'll never keep so just forget bidding on it". They learn who they can gut and who they can't. We have had no problem finding good loggers who play by our rules. If you have high quality timber they will do whatever you ask, because they want to come back for future cuts and they always make money on your land. So it's your game you make the rules.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12