+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cedar sugar shack?

Default Cedar sugar shack?

I'm thinking of building a sugar shack out of all cedar post and board and batten. I have plenty of cedar around and a friend with a sawmill. How would this hold up with moisture?

It will work great. Have agood friend with an all cedar sugar house. Was a lineman for the local utility company and had an "inside connection" for old poles being replaced, most of the old ones are old growth cedar...
    Took them to a local guy with a saw mill. Shack is all cedar it's a beautiful building. Heck fences are made out of cedar.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

I built my sugar shack using cedar from my woodlot. Didn't have access to a mill or a way to haul logs so I built it like a log cabin. I did square some with a chainsaw for door and window openings.

If you have enough good size logs you could have them squared on three sides and build a nice log shack. Your timber frame idea would be beautiful as well.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

+ Reply to Thread