+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Sterling

Hi I am unsure as well, just checked the buckets this morning and there is so little it is not worth firing up the evaporators today. Next week looks more seasonable which maybe ok as long as the trees do not start budding early due to these warm spells.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisn418 View Post
    Apprehensive the season may be a short one.... not many days ahead under freezing...
    In Acton, metro west, I've collected all of 5 gallons sap out of my 15 taps... primarily from one tree. Taps in for less than a week, but with the forecast, not certain it will turn around. Lousy. Haven't even boiled yet.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Hi Janet,
    It seems everyone in our area is experiencing the same, managed to get about 25 gallons to boil down today before the lousy weather set in. Hopefully this will have a good sugar content and your taps have started to run.

Still running here, moderately. We are higher elevation than Sterling so it is freezing at night mostly. Been collecting 40-60 gallons every day this week from my 129 taps. Sap ram all night so I expect sap today. I already have more than 50% of last season's crop, and it's only March 1st. Forecast looking good for next couple weeks.

Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

Quote Originally Posted by btflaw View Post
    Hi Janet,
    It seems everyone in our area is experiencing the same, managed to get about 25 gallons to boil down today before the lousy weather set in. Hopefully this will have a good sugar content and your taps have started to run.
    Didn't get any more, yesterday boiled the 4-5 gallons down to about 2.5 qts. I just put it back on the fire and added another 1/3 to 1/2 gallon, I just pulled from one tree. To bring as close as I can before finishing on the stove. Sugar average 2.5%, so not too bad.

A few other taps had a bit in, mostly drives, and mostly yellow. End of next week, we may drop to just below freezing. All I can do is hope.
    ~Janet

2019 - 6th year sugarin'. 2nd year using propane. 13 taps. Just over 3/4 gal syrup. Light in color and flavor.
    Intent to build a new barrel evaporator with my son this summer. Still don't weld. We'll see how it goes.

Hi Everyone,
    I am done for the season in Sterling. Just found out I am scheduled for a hand surgery this Thursday and recovery will probably outlast the season. Pulled the taps and tubes and buckets this morning still no real flow to speak of, figured the cleanup process will be easier while I still can use both hands. Managed to make probably almost 3 gallons of dark but delicious syrup which was enough for us to use and share with friends. Just could not see myself lifting hot pans off the 3 outdoor evaporators one handed. Wishing everyone a good season and as always it has been a pleasure conversing with fellow syrup aficionados and reading Maple Trader. Best wishes to all.

Hope your recovery goes well.

Looks like things may pick up after this last snow storm...getting some good weather.....just have to bring a shovel along.

Hi and thank you for the well wishes. I definitely made the right call I think calling it an early season. The hand is pretty much useless for many more weeks, add to that the lack of sap and more snow, it would have been challenging for sure.

How are you doing and are your taps flowing again once everything gets dug out? They are talking another 12"plus next Tuesday/Wed. Looks like March is the new February.

I' I I've been saying for years that the season clock is advancing faster then the calendar... regardless sapp is flowing good today and the weather looks decent I don't have a lot of taps so the snow is easy to manage. hopefully I can pull off a gallon or 2 of syrup by season end. Unfortunately a few trees I hope to be pro
    ductive are being quite lazy hopefully they pick up

Agreed, the higher sun helps but you still need the right temps. Glad to hear it is flowing today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast