+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: increase steam ventilation through cupola?

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Looking at the picture, if your stack is 10-12" the cupola doors appear to be not much taller -or maybe even shorter than 10". My guess is that for your 2.5 x 10 arch you need more open space up there. Also the vent in the gable end is just drawing cold air in and not helping you at all.
    that's the problem, the windows are just too small (look nice though! but that doesn't help me).

I'll try covering up the vent on the gable end, but i don't think it's going to do much. the double doors are wide open (didn't get a chance to hang them yet). do you think there is too much cooling coming in through the front door? i've been trying to get my buddy back over to hang them for me, but favors only go so far.

at this point my options are remove the windows and frame a bigger opening. or build a steam hood i believe.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    the double doors are wide open (didn't get a chance to hang them yet).
    Forget about the vent and the size of your cupola openings until you run it with the doorway covered over. You may as well be outside - I don't think your cupola is doing anything for you at this point.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by BSD View Post
    First time boiling in a shack this year and have a 4x8 cupola, it has flip-out windows in place of the normal cupola doors. and I suspect they're framed in a way that is reducing the size of the openings.
    I'm getting good amount out the windows but typically have a vapor level about 80" off the ground (height of the big door in the front). After boiling for a few hours, the roof gets saturated and then it starts raining inside. I can't keep doing this or i'll rot the building from the inside out.

is there a formula to determine the CFM of steam generated by boiling sap?
    is there a good way to get a fan up in the cupola to boost ventilation? or am I better off building a hood and steam vent?

this was taken on a crystal clear, low humidity night, only boiling around 40-45gph
    Attachment 17643

This was last night when the humidity was sky-high.Visibility was realistically 36", and the cloud level was only 30-36" off the ground. It was a disaster. i thought i was going to have to shut down because it was so bad, couldn't see in the pans, and almost had a foam over in one of the channels. was boiling 45gph last night. this was before it "got bad".
    Attachment 17644.

Once the front moved through, i was able to get back to "normal" like the first picture. but cannot continue long term obviously. I need to get it resolved before i can go any faster in my pans. as i'd like to be up around 60-70 gph?
    A heat source will solve this problem we use either our gas stove or a construction style propane heater it goes away almost instantly. And drys the surfaces a bit.

We built our sugarhouse in 2013 and have tried every idea suggested here. We have a 3' by 6' cupola, and with our previous 2' x 4' evaporator it was quite bad during a boil, but still manageable. When we went to the 2' x 6' evaporator we went with a hood immediately that we piped up into the cupola, thinking that the steam wouldn't be a problem since it was already piped up into the cupola, wrong. Finally after experimenting with different ideas which didn't solve the problem, we finally put the vent pipe from the hood through the roof of the cupola and the steam problem has now been solved. We hated to cut another hole through the roof, but it has worked great.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

My steam stacks end in the cupola, on my 3x8 hoods I have 2 steam stacks of 15" each, about half way up to the cupola, then I have a 13" suspended from the cupola down into the 15" ones. My hood over the syrup pan is about 14-16" above the pan and is the same 3x3 as the pan. At my usual boil rate of 75 gph and my highest rate of 81gph I get less steam that what the picture in Reply #9 by sugarmaker shows. My cupola is only 12 SF and it has 2 doors on each side that are 19"x32" each. Rarely but in some weather patterns I only open the doors on one side, but I still get no steam issues. The only time I had issues with steam was the one season I had no hood and even then the steam level was at about 7-7.5' up, the problem was the raining in there. A hood fixed that.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

the plan right now is to replace my current arch/evaporator next season, and when i upgrade i will be incorporating a hood and pre-heater into the decision, it will go through the roof. i'm done playing with the cupola. I had another boil yesterday like the one i posted previously. after 3 hours it was flat-out raining in the building from the condensation. I did hit a personal best, sustained 72 GPH on my arch at least.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

I'm very proud of the cupola on our new sugarhouse. It works great even without a hood over our 30"x10' Leader Vortex Arch and raised flue rear pan. Lots of steam that flows nicely out the top and almost no rain! My secret is the 12:12 pitch roof, about 10 ft walls, T&G wood lining against the metal roof (not quite complete), and four 54"x32" doors. A little side ventilation from the windows helps the draft.
    20180403_083104.jpg
    20180326_140421.jpg
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12