+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tapped in Lackawanna County

Is anyone besides me hoping we get a run this coming week? The big freeze should recharge the trees, but I am worried the holes might have dried out this week. I am tapped 5 weeks today. The trees ran great on the last run, 7 days ago. I have my barrels, pails and buckets rinsed, just waiting to put them back out. Not a big deal. With the temps that I see coming if the holes aren't dried up, I see a big finish! Am I alone in this thinking????
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

I'm also interested in seeing what plays out over the next week. I'm at the top of the county and am seeing some of my maples with buds opening. I've left about a dozen taps in the trees with buds that don't show signs of opening for the past week but don't know what to expect. (This is only my second season.) I'd love to see another run since I got such a late start this year.

Waynesgarden, I have been sugaring about 18 years and have never had buddy sap. I only have a few red and silvers and they bud out but never seem to pop open. They scare me enough to sometimes bring some samples from those trees to my stove for a quick boil, but it has never been bad. Your experience could differ.
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Also do homebrew

Am I the only one in Pa that is still boiling? My tress aren't flowing hard but they are still flowing. I do have some tap holes that have dried up but others that are doing good. This morning 2 of my 6 tree buckets were overflowing. My sap is low in sugar (1.2%) but still clear and making great tasting syrup. I boiled Friday and today and if we get below freezing tonight ( it will be close) I might get another boil or two.
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Also do homebrew

No, there are a few of us up north, susquehanna county, still boiling. But it is coming to a close soon. Good luck!

If the temp drop as hoped tonight, I should have enough tomorrow for one last small boil.

Hey Paul- haven't been on here much this year. We just turned our pumps off today. Really good season for us. Hope all is well and you got on your sled a few times this winter

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Hey Paul- haven't been on here much this year. We just turned our pumps off today. Really good season for us. Hope all is well and you got on your sled a few times this winter

Mike
    Glad you had good season Mike. Unfortunately I did not get to ride the sled again this year.
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Also do homebrew

Well, my thermometer said we had a low of 33 degrees last night but I had ice in some of the buckets. It was just enough because my taps are flowing again. It looks like I will be boiling again tomorrow or Wednesday. Yippee!!!
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Also do homebrew

Didn't get as cold as I hoped last week and just enough sap flowed from the 10 remaining taps around the house to boil down one more quart. Still, this (second) year was a learning year for me. Acquired and used an RO bucket and built a barrel stove that worked very well. Burned kiln-dried lumber cut-offs exclusively and easily kept a hot, continuous fire. (Have a free, unlimited supply so cutting firewood is no longer a concern.)

Some setbacks had me starting very late this year and only tapped for about a week before that warm spell hit but I'm happy with the 2 gallons I produced. Next year everything will be in place so I'll be ready when the sap is. I'm going to add 50 or so trees up the hill with tubing, sealing up a few small gaps between the tray and the stove, trying forced air below the fire and devising a preheater.

Today, is cleanup day.

Wayne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast