+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crawford County PA 2024

Default Crawford County PA 2024

This is about the same time of every year I start this thread. I started this little adventure with my son Chase in 2005 when he was 12 years old. Since then we have met a lot of great people. I got involved in the Northwest PA Maple Syrup Producers Association, and helped Daryl Sheets initiate the Lake Erie Maple Expo. I missed out on making syrup two different years because of uncontrollable issues but have always looked forward to the beginning of the season.
    This year is different. Back in the middle of October I lost my partner. Our son was killed in a motorcycle/deer accident and our world has been upside down ever since. Still having good days and bad but it’s very hard trying to get going this year. I’ve cleaning tanks and done some woods work but I’m having a tough time making a whole hearted commitment to getting going. I was an A+ procrastinator before this but now it’s time to get going. If I don’t I probably won’t be able to ever again. So wish me luck tomorrow is go time to do this in memory of Chase. Wishing everyone a good season this year.

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

So sorry for your loss. As has been said many times, no parent should bury a child. It has to be very tough without your son. Making syrup will renew many old memories and I'm sure lots of them will be great memories. Try your best, being busy might help.
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Very sorry for your loss. I can give you a day this week if it would help. Just give me a bag of fittings and I'll chase squirrel chews ! Or replace taps ahead of you tapping. Might be good for both of us. Good luck Ron 4124185922 call or text

I am so sorry for your loss, that is hard. I will say a prayer for you and your family, I can't even emagine what you are going through, it makes all my problems seam selfish. Hang in there and take it day by day. I always liked your screen name Father and Son. Good luck today and make a lot of it.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Very sorry for your loss. I wish I wasn’t a couple hundred miles away from you so that I could come give you a hand getting going.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Sorry for your loss.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by O3C View Post
    Very sorry for your loss. I can give you a day this week if it would help. Just give me a bag of fittings and I'll chase squirrel chews ! Or replace taps ahead of you tapping. Might be good for both of us. Good luck Ron 4124185922 call or text
    Thanks Ron, appreciate the offer. The problem isn’t the amount of work that I need to do and a lot of friends have offered to help also it’s more the emotional motivation I was lacking. I did spend the day in the woods today and it was ok. So tomorrow I’m going to tap and repair and then the season begins.
    Thanks again,
    Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

Jim, So sorry for your loss. Chase will be right there by your side every step of the way. BY keeping the tradition alive you are keeping him with you. We don't understand why God does the things He does, but everything has a reason. I lost my father ( partner ) in 2012 and he is with me every day. Just keep moving forward.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

No problem. Still have a lot to learn about running the evaporator if you dont mind a visitor some time. Thanks Ron

Good afternoon guys. I'm taking my wife up to Dubois for a "women's" engagement this weekend and was wondering if any of you know of any sugarmakers/sugarhouses in the Dubois area I might be able to pop-in on this weekend while trying to kill time.
    2020 - 1st year - 13 black walnut taps - 4 bottles syrup
    2021 - 50 taps, 22 black walnuts/28 red maples - 4 gallons syrup
    2022 - 54 taps, 11 black walnuts/41 red maples, 20 on solar shurflo vacuum - 8.5 gallons syrup
    2023 - 47 taps on 45 red maples, 43 on solar shurflo vacuum

+ Reply to Thread