+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hudson Valley

Welcome Peter, I'm just across the river in Orange county same weather as you! Generally light syrup in the beginning of season progressing to dark as the season goes. Personally I don't like light syrup as much dark but then again I like dark coffee too I have a restaurant that will take any and all dark they could care less about my amber

Quote Originally Posted by mastercat View Post
    Welcome Peter, I'm just across the river in Orange county same weather as you! Generally light syrup in the beginning of season progressing to dark as the season goes. Personally I don't like light syrup as much dark but then again I like dark coffee too I have a restaurant that will take any and all dark they could care less about my amber
    \
    Thanks for all the tips mastercat, Jake8484, and mapleflats. We got slammed tonight 3/15/2019 with a super thunderstorm. Tons of rain , thunder and lightning. I am hoping to boil this weekend but fear wood is readdl wet--want to do my first cinderblock arch. I have about 20 gallons now. I have my 15 gallon and 10gallon beer brewpots sitting full in snow drifts from my tractor FEL driveway cleanup, trying to stay cold till boil. Boiling either 3/16 of 3/17. I need to learn the hydrometer test-- I have one for my beer making. Hopefully it's the same technique doing sugar content.
    Great community here btw

I'm Back !!!
    Long story short, the property I've been tapping is for sale. So I found someone who gave me my price for my evaporator and sold it back in November. The property has not sold and I could have been making syrup still.
    Last week I tapped 2 tree's in my back yard (1 sugar 1 red). Collected about 6 gallons of sap so far and am boiling on a hotel pan with a propane camp stove. Ah, the smell . Hope to get at least a couple pints this year.
    2014 - 6 Taps (and some borrowed sap) - Barrel evaporator - 1 1/2 Gallons syrup
    2015 - 30 taps - block arch -7.5 gallons syrup
    2016 - 20 taps- fire bricked arch - 5 gallons syrup
    2017 - 20 Taps- still boiling outside - 5 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 30 Taps - Mason 2x4 XL inside Garage - 10 gal. syrup
    2019 - 2 Taps - Propane stove and pot - 1 pint syrup
    2020 - 4 Taps - Propane Stove and pot - 3 Pints syrup
    2021 - 6 Taps - Stove/Smokey Lake Star Cat evaporator - 8 Pints syrup

Default My first gallon!

So I boiled on March 17th, and got 8 pints . The big rain early that week ( soaked firewood) and my poor time management forced me to end up boiling on propane again using my beer-making setup. Next year I'll take the time to put together a proper cinder-block arch. Probably a good idea to do a test build before I need it, huh?
    My 8 pints came from 27 gallons. In my earlier post I commented on tossing big ice blocks out of my buckets-- seems to have done the trick.

I was away at the end of March and tossed all my full buckets-- sap got cloudy. For me the season is over-- pulled all my taps and tubing.
    8pints.jpg

Good going, it looks good. I started on a block arch when I was young. If you are at all serious, you may want to go straight to a small evaporator, as the block arch is going to be slow and painful if you add too many taps. But, what you use (and spend) is directly proportional to your addiction to this undertaking.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Hi Gary,

Just seeing your 4/4/2019 post in June-- wanted to say thanks for all the encouragement, and chat more in the 2020 season.
    --Peter

How has the 2020 season been for you ? Sadly I have been traveling and won't get to tap until (hopefully) March 7.
    Will the non-winter we had this season have an effect?

--Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterHolmes View Post
    How has the 2020 season been for you ? Sadly I have been traveling and won't get to tap until (hopefully) March 7.
    Will the non-winter we had this season have an effect?

--Peter
    You'll be OK. Winter ain't over yet
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

Default Will tap 2/21/2021

Hi ,

I am thinking I may get my taps in tomorrow. Ten or eleven trees, using 5 gallon buckets. I am hoping this coming week will have favorable conditions. I'm hoping to double my yearly production from one to two gallons this year, and maybe make a little maple sugar too.

--Peter

Well it seems I was probably a bit early since there's no action as of yet from my taps on 2/21. 10 trees , all decent size, and practically no significant flow at all.
    Maybe tomorrow will be different since the daytime temp should be in the 40s (F). I recall these same trees were pumping lots of sap at the same time last year, but I know mother nature has a lot to say about this process. Still hoping to get more this year than in the past, when I was getting a gallon of syrup from one day's boil from the same trees.

--Peter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast