+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bender 1800 not cycling

I played around with a bender this fall in my garage. Pulled my hair out try My to get it to work. Very finicky units. But so simple.
    the first problem I had was the check valves. I used similar ones as you. On the dump side it would dump the best if I had the hinge of the check valve facing up so gravity helps it close if need be.
    Then I had a leak in the jar top. Used food Grease and slathered it up. Fixed that problem. Then I got it going finally.
    Cranked up the vacuum and it wouldn't dump again. So I added weights. Took a while to get it to go. But I finally found the proper weight.
    Then I took it apart to screw it on the wood frame and after putting it back together it wouldn't dump again. So I put it away for weeks. Went back to it and I figured that I screwed the top threaded piece on to tight. And it didn't allow enough of a vent to get it to break the seal.
    So it worked perfect after that.
    Screw just tight enough to hold it there. Just enough to hold the top hat on.
    Try it. It might be the problem.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Ahhh. I like it bricklayer, simple. I did tighten it pretty good in the woods. I don't recall how tight it was in the garage. I may try that first. It does not require some reconfiguring, and it worked great set up like this in the garage. Plus my woods are elevationally-challanged. I don't know what moving to the top port would do to me elevation wise.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

run oversized cv straight down from the bottom port for fastest dumping , and dont worry that your woods are elevationally-challanged, mine are all low slope mainlines too that come in at the top of the tote tank height like a gravity system and then T`s off to get sucked straight up thru the cv into the top port with minimal restrictions, i also have a small pump but 95 gals of stored vacuum to keep pulling with no dropoff when cycling. i also bought benders to start out my vacuum adventures, and im still running them 4 seasons later with great results for the money invested. don`t let it get you down , before you know it youll be a bender expert and looking to buy another one to hook up in another sugar bush.
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Mine unfortunately doesn't have the nipple on the top part to do that but it makes sense.
    I ended up getting a smoking deal on a couple year old lapierre releaser so I'm using that instead. But I had the bender working under 20" and it cycled fine. They do work. And are really neat to watch also.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Search interesting bender set-up post I started about 2 years ago. Look at the second picture, without the additional pipe on the bottom
    it didn't dump correctly HTH!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Just got in. Brought sap in through side port on hat, changed out line to 1 inch from 3/4. Fired up pump, checked vac at end of 250 ft main. Was reading 19 inch. Very good.

Hooked a drop to a saddle to pull water from a bucket (all lines froze). Water came in. Eventually tripped, then half dump. After that things slowed down, including volume of water coming in.

I messed with it a bit. Pulled things apart. Eventually I noticed that the orifice at the top was pretty iced over. Cleaned that out, put together. Fired up. Same thing again. Pulled water great, half dump. At that point, no sap was coming in or out. Just sitting. Checked vac, down to zero. No leaks. Pulled vac line from the top, jar dumped. I blew in (to clear ice), hooked vac up. Water comes in.

Question 1- can my problem be traced back to icing over?

Question 2- do I have the rod set up right? From the bottom: hair pin, sliding float, hair pin, weight, then 6 inches or so, small o-ring in a grove, and then the metal slider component thing on top.

When the float rises, it first slides, then hits the hair pin (with weight on it), then rod slides up, and then the o-ring eventually contacts the slider mechanism on top. Right? Pic below.

Quote Originally Posted by mudr View Post
    Just got in. Brought sap in through side port on hat, changed out line to 1 inch from 3/4. Fired up pump, checked vac at end of 250 ft main. Was reading 19 inch. Very good.

Hooked a drop to a saddle to pull water from a bucket (all lines froze). Water came in. Eventually tripped, then half dump. After that things slowed down, including volume of water coming in.

I messed with it a bit. Pulled things apart. Eventually I noticed that the orifice at the top was pretty iced over. Cleaned that out, put together. Fired up. Same thing again. Pulled water great, half dump. At that point, no sap was coming in or out. Just sitting. Checked vac, down to zero. No leaks. Pulled vac line from the top, jar dumped. I blew in (to clear ice), hooked vac up. Water comes in.

Question 1- can my problem be traced back to icing over?

Question 2- do I have the rod set up right? From the bottom: hair pin, sliding float, hair pin, weight, then 6 inches or so, small o-ring in a grove, and then the metal slider component thing on top.

When the float rises, it first slides, then hits the hair pin (with weight on it), then rod slides up, and then the o-ring eventually contacts the slider mechanism on top. Right? Pic below.

When I used them, had alot of issues of the vacuum port freezing up, even at air temps of 40. Depended on how much moisture was in the air. When you put a torch on it for 30 seconds, worked like a charm......for awhile. The foggy nights with a temp of 34 were the worst.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Success! I noticed the dump check valve was leaking quite a bit of air around the gasket yesterday. Lots of bubbles coming up into the jar. I switched the two valves, figured a slight leak on the line in would not be too problematic.

Put it all together (again, sap coming in from top) and fired it up. Cycled great for 15 cycles or so. Watched for 25-30. No failures.

I will get rid of that bad CV soon, but for now it works on the sap in line.

hey mudr great to hear you finally have success with your bender , now you can focus on other things
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12