+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapped yesterday 2/14/2018 in southern Maine

Wink Tapped yesterday 2/14/2018 in southern Maine

Installed 6 taps yesterday, collected 2 gallons this morning here in Saco, Maine. Just a hobby for me but still exciting.

Good luck! Nice few days happening now, and then big warm-up coming next week, so get ready! Have fun!
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

Thanks and good luck to you too!

Hobby for me as well. I tapped 10 on Tuesday and have collected near 4 gallons. Looking to get 35 for the first boil. I've got a new setup this year with a concrete block arch and three steam trays. Hopefully I can boil 4-5 gallons an hour to get a gallon for a days effort. Sunday on looks like a good first run! Have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mvhomesteader View Post
    Hobby for me as well. I tapped 10 on Tuesday and have collected near 4 gallons. Looking to get 35 for the first boil. I've got a new setup this year with a concrete block arch and three steam trays. Hopefully I can boil 4-5 gallons an hour to get a gallon for a days effort. Sunday on looks like a good first run! Have fun with it!
    Thanks, you too! Your new setup sounds great. I've been researching how to build an arch and looking for trays. What size are your trays?

The trays are the large size steam trays, roughly 11x20x6 deep. I bought them on one of the hotel supply/chef sites online for about $15 each. I'll post a picture of the unit once I get it operating, perhaps this weekend. Almost at 15 gallons so hopefully there will be enough to boil by Saturday.

Default First Run and Sap Tap App

Tapped 2/18-19. Put 44 buckets out. Big roadside trees. Taps on the south side ran yesterday. Collected 10 gallons @ 2.5 Brix. Today temps should reach 50 degrees. Hoping to double number of buckets today and collect enough syrup to start up my Leader half pint evaporator.

Are any of you using the Sap Tap App? It’s free and only takes a minute to enter data. It would be great to see when and how much sap others in Maine are collecting!

https://www.saptapapps.com/about/
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines

Quote Originally Posted by Page Meadow Maple View Post
    Tapped 2/18-19. Put 44 buckets out. Big roadside trees. Taps on the south side ran yesterday. Collected 10 gallons @ 2.5 Brix. Today temps should reach 50 degrees. Hoping to double number of buckets today and collect enough syrup to start up my Leader half pint evaporator.

Are any of you using the Sap Tap App? It’s free and only takes a minute to enter data. It would be great to see when and how much sap others in Maine are collecting!

https://www.saptapapps.com/about/
    I just made an Excel chart last week to keep track of things but I like the sound of a sap tap app. Thanks, I'll check it out.

I have been recording daily collections with the idea of an Excel sheet as well. This year I numbered the trees to keep track of who puts out what. The saptapapp looks like something new to try so I signed up. Should be interesting and entertaining. Thanks for the tip!

The weather today was different. I read in The Maple Sugar Book that sap will not flow in temps above 50 and it seems that might be true for at least south facing trees. They didn't do much till it clouded up in the afternoon and a breeze cooled the trees. Since they were still running at supper time it will be interesting to see what happens overnight. Anyone else see this happen?

+ Reply to Thread