+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metallic taste in syrup

Default Metallic taste in syrup

I've been using steam tray pans for some time to boil sap and have had no issues with off taste. I've recently just had a pan welded, SS, to fit my arch. I cleand the pan with a scrub brush and dish detergent rinsing several times before using. I even boiled for a couple hours, scrubbed and rinsed again. But last night tried for first time boiling sap in new pan and what a drew off had slight metal taste. Anyone ever have this problem or know what to do?

If everything was food grade SS including the weld and all fittings were also SS, you should have no metallic taste. What grade of SS was the SS and was it food grade? Not all SS is food grade.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by PoseyCoMark View Post
    I've been using steam tray pans for some time to boil sap and have had no issues with off taste. I've recently just had a pan welded, SS, to fit my arch. I cleand the pan with a scrub brush and dish detergent rinsing several times before using. I even boiled for a couple hours, scrubbed and rinsed again. But last night tried for first time boiling sap in new pan and what a drew off had slight metal taste. Anyone ever have this problem or know what to do?
    There is a natural phenomenon where the syrup will have a slight metallic taste for a short period. I can't think of the name for it off hand but I'm sure somebody else will think of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You could boil some in another pan and see if it still has an off taste. I really doubt it is coming from your pan, it is most likely your sap. Was it fresh and not spoiled. It could be metabolism from your trees, I had some of this in my fall taps this year and just had to wait until it cleared. I did not market any of that syrup, we glazed nuts and let a friend have some to cook with and kept some for cooking. If it's metabolism all you can do is wait. Sniff the steam, bad sap will have a musty smell when boiling. Proctor Maple center has a publication on it.

You can actually fix it if it is metabolism. Proctor also has a paper on that. You heat it to around 240 F and the chemicals responsible gas off. You will have to be ready with distilled water to thin your syrup before it goes to sugar. I would just keep it for cooking and nut glazing. It alright for that because you take the heat high enough.
    Last edited by buckeye gold; 02-14-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Looking at your rig I see a lot of different things going on. You have copper with solder and flux for your air manifold. How did you clean out the flux.
    I spoke with a big producer that buys and sells syrup and he took in a large amount of syrup and when graded and tested and resold it was downgraded by the buyer because it had a hint of off flavor and it was traced back to the air injection.
    Last edited by Haynes Forest Products; 02-15-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by regor0 View Post
    There is a natural phenomenon where the syrup will have a slight metallic taste for a short period. I can't think of the name for it off hand but I'm sure somebody else will think of it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    We had this issue in CT last spring. it was pre-buddy sap. not sure if it's possible at the start of the season though?
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by regor0 View Post
    Very possibly metabolism. UVM Maple Extension has an off-flavor kit that some associations offer as a way to diagnose some "natural" off-flavors. That particular kit includes metabolism, buddy, and sour-sap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Noc4ahbNc

A few publications.
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/off-flavor.pdf
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/off-flavor2.pdf

If it is metabolism, it may (likely will) go away after a couple of good runs.....or not. Some seasons produce more of it. Some bushes tend to get it more. Is often fairly regional in nature. Mostly affects early season light syrup.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-15-2018 at 08:28 AM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Up to this point all we've boiled has had desirable flavor though I'm checking in to the metabolism. But I was boiling same sap in different pans earlier in the day, traded them out at the end of the evening. Though I did use maybe 10 gal of new sap mixed in this last boil. I drained the sweet off last night and cleaned with vinegar and then baking soda, rinsing thoroughly, just in case it could be the pan. When I was wiping down the pan I noticed the white clothe I was using had a gray tint. Maybe a dumb question but is that normal? I then wiped down the whole pan with shortening. Not sure if that makes any difference or not.
    Last edited by PoseyCoMark; 02-15-2018 at 01:57 PM.

Are they Aluminum pans? Aluminum will give off a grey residue after washing and wiping it.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

It isn't aluminum. The ss used has been setting outside for a couple years. Don't think that has any effect on it though. Looking at welds, which some are a little rough, and there are a few rusty spots.

+ Reply to Thread