+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bit size

Hybrid View

Default bit size

Hi Everyone,
    Might be a strange question but here it is: What size tapping bit should I use for the Leader 5/16" Clear Check Valve spout?

I ask because last year I used a 19/64" drill bit with the Lapierre 5/16" seasonal spout due to posts that I read and the tap hole using that bit seems a bit tight for the Leader CV spout. Thanks, Ted
    Last edited by tbear; 02-14-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Use a 5/16.

Thanks Super Sapper, will do. Ted

^^ What SS said.

As a potential anecdote that may be useful; I noticed last year that CV spiles in box elders didn't work well with a 5/16 bit. Too large of hole and/or the wood just is too soft - lots of sap running down the tree. Redrilled and went back to some new 7/16" spiles I had around after tapping a couple. Hoping the 19/64" bit I bought for this season does the job so I can use CVs on the box elders too.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Quote Originally Posted by littleTapper View Post
    ^^ What SS said.

As a potential anecdote that may be useful; I noticed last year that CV spiles in box elders didn't work well with a 5/16 bit. Too large of hole and/or the wood just is too soft - lots of sap running down the tree. Redrilled and went back to some new 7/16" spiles I had around after tapping a couple. Hoping the 19/64" bit I bought for this season does the job so I can use CVs on the box elders too.
    Box elder wood is quite a bit softer than even red maple which is sometimes called soft maple. I tap mostly red maples and use the 5/16" bit with CV2 spouts and they fit good without leaking or splitting the tree.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Yup, even silvers (what I mostly have) work perfect with 5/16" bit and CV2s. And, it was amazing what vacuum did to help my production off those trees. Night and day difference.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Where are you finding the 19/64" drill bits? I have the leakage problem too with my spiles and I read that that really is the appropriate size bit for the spiles. But I am having trouble locating one. I hate to see it running down the side of the tree.

+ Reply to Thread