+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lapierre Vertical Electric Releaser Float String

Thanks Shaun. That's what makes me nervous is changing things mid stream. I'll ride it out this week, and make the swap next weekend, so I have the weekend to keep an eye on it and get comfortable.

I have a couple holes drilled in my pump discharge pipe, so the pump doesn't get air bound. Sap sprays inside the Releaser. Is that going to give the probe a false reading?

I would say yes if the sap sprayed on the sensor. My check valve is outside of the releaser with a 1/4" valve/bleed return line to deal with the air bound issue. This dumps back into the manifold section so it does not spray on the sensor. Maybe you can deflect the sap? It seems like a small bleed is enough.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Last season, I got the HC6000 pump control, but didn’t install it. Installed it this season, but the season was underway by the time I got to it. I plugged it in to dry test it…make sure the lights were coming on when they were supposed to, and the relay was tripping when it was supposed to…all good for like a week or more. The other day I went to make the switch over, and it didn’t work anymore…lights weren’t right.

So, my releaser setup for background. I have a Lapierre vertical electric releaser with a Sta-Rite pump inside. The discharge pumping is PVC and it had a brass swing check valve on the piping inside of the releaser. The swing check was leaking air, so that morning, I swapped it out with a straight piece of pipe and a PVC spring check mounted externally. That’s all I changed to the releaser.

So, what’s happening now, is when the bottom sensor is wet, I get a solid red…not sensing water. When the top sensor gets wet, and liquid level gets above the top sensor, it activates the relay, but as soon as the liquid level is below the top sensor, it deactivates the relay…short cycling. My situation seems like NH Maplemker’s from the first page.

My best guess, after reading through this thread, is it’s no longer getting a ground…for some reason. The releaser is all PVC, the piping is all PVC, the pump is grounded through the electrical wiring (I think), so wouldn’t the “system” be grounded while the pump is in liquid? How did just swapping out the brass check affect the ground? How do I ground the pump switch, so it works correctly?
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

I'm sure you have checked, does it beep 3 times after you unplug and plug back in?
    I have the same set up, the pump is grounded and a gould deep well. System has been rock solid a few seasons now.

My pump is 120v. A 240v pump can operate without a ground. You may want to verify it is grounded well too.
    Last edited by Shaun; 03-11-2020 at 06:29 PM.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

I'm pretty sure it beeps, but will double check.

I'll double check the ground wire going through the Lapierre float switch.

My pump is 240V, and the pump works fine...actually, I didn't know they could work without a ground.

Yeah, I was pretty excited to make the switch because I had been dry testing it for a week, and it'd been working fine the entire time. For whatever reason, taking the brass check out disrupted something.

Thanks Shaun.

I had the same issue last year with my external pump wired 220. I had to run a separate ground wire from the pump housing in order to make the sensors work. The sap needs to be grounded, I believe, and i think you've insulated it in your system. You need to get a ground to that sap. Good luck!

But isn't the pump shell itself grounded, so if the pump is in sap, then isn't the system grounded? If not, how do I ground it? I don't want to bring a separate ground wire into the releaser, and the pump is wired externally.

Electrical stuff is like voodoo sometimes, so it doesn't always make sense to me.
    Last edited by Amber Gold; 03-13-2020 at 09:58 AM.

I agree that it's like voodoo. This happened to me twice actually. The grounded pump didnt cut it and an additional ground solved the problem. Both releasers have external pumps. One I grounded by attaching a copper wire to a copper fitting on the releaser and the other end to a screw in the concrete floor. The other an alligator clip to the pump body to a rod in the ground.

You gave me an idea.

I don't want to drill new holes through the releaser wall. The float system has a tube that is bolted through the releaser wall. Can I wrap a ground wire around the bolt inside releaser, and then on the outside of the releaser wrap another ground wire around the bolt and connect it to the power supply ground for the pump? The bolt is stainless, so will it still work?

Thanks!

I would think for the amount of money you spent on this equipment LaPierre would be there in a flash and have this all sorted out...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast