+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First year experience

Default First year experience

This is my first year sugaring and Since January I managed to pull close to 40 gallons of sap from 2 big maples in my back yard. My evaporator is simple just a turkey fryer and a 18 gallon aluminum kettle. When i get down to 2 gallons i finish inside. Having so little sap i hate seeing any of it lost in the filtering process I tried using the a synthetic cone with prefilter but my results are still cloudy. It seems to take a long time for the sap to filter through sometimes a for a gallon i cant imagine this working for anyone doing more that a few gallons a day.

IMG_5043.jpg

It seems almost there. Have you tried to use 2 prefilters and the cone filter. Also you want to make sure the filters are wet and warm before filtering. For one, Filtering will be faster if they are warm and wet. And adding another prefilter will catch more niter before going through the cone filter.
    Steve

2x8 Mason drop tube evaporator
    420 Taps
    3 surflo pumps on 5/16
    79 gallons of syrup made
    New kitchen addition to sap house
    400 taps
    52 gallons syrup made

Another point is that the syrup must be hot to filter it, and keep it hot or the flow lows down. One thing some small producers do is to let the syrup set for a few weeks, the sugar sand will settle to the bottom, then draw off the clear syrup, carefully heat it (double boilers work good) to about 185F and bottle it into warm bottles.
    If that's your stock of syrup in the picture, I wouldn't risk stacking it so high, don't risk breaking even one bottle.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Welcome Talox! Your very first syrup looks wonderful. Since you don't want to waste a single drop, I might suggest that you pour all of your finished syrup into wide mouth mason jars (I use 2 quart ones for this purpose) and let the sugar sand settle out. Sometimes it will take only a few days, other times it may take a few weeks or even months. Keep the jars in the fridge, and when the syrup is clear use a ladle to scoop out the clear stuff from the top. If you want to reheat it, do as Maple Flats suggests and not let the syrup go over 185F. Or, you can simply fill bottles with the clear syrup and store them in your freezer (no reheating required) and take out a bottle when you need it. It will keep indefinitely that way. If your syrup is of the proper density it won't freeze solid and will have the consistency of roofing tar when it comes out of the freezer. Within 10 or 15 minutes it will be pourable.

Best of luck on your very first sugaring season. By the way, while your syrup looks terrific, the stone wall in your backyard is to die for!!! OMG!
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    If that's your stock of syrup in the picture, I wouldn't risk stacking it so high, don't risk breaking even one bottle.
    Thank you all for your replies.

Yes that is my entire stock that i hope to give to friends and family.. Luckily they are not too particular. I just want to Improve the quality and appearance of my product..

For Filtering ... the filters were wet and warm the syrup started hot but cooled pretty quickly. I also filtered twice between the outside poil and bringing inside to finish and then again just before bottling.

Thanks I like the Mason Jar idea, I think the boss has a few around if i can convince her to give up a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Run Forest Run! View Post
    Best of luck on your very first sugaring season. By the way, while your syrup looks terrific, the stone wall in your backyard is to die for!!! OMG!
    We just bought the hose this year and the wall cam with it.. It really added a lot of character to the yard. I couldn't afford to have that built and my back wouldn't let me do it myself.

I had the same question, thanks for the replies...

If you do reheat after letting it settle, do it in a double boiler so you don't risk generating any more sugar sand with hot spots.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread