+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boiling today

Thank you mellondome. This leads me to another question. I see in videos, during the final boil, most boils are done at a lower temperature, and just bubbling away at the bottom of the pot. I'm thinking I might be over boiling. If I have, say 40 ounces of syrup, my boil is rising all the way to the top of my 20 quart pot. I was told once that you can't "over boil" the sap. I boil the sap over wood flames. I do the finish boil over propane. Am I better off slowing things down, once I make the switch to propane, and just let it evaporate slowly?
    Sorry for the newbie questions. Just trying to get things right. I don't have the best of maple trees to work with. Just what's on my property. My yield is no where near 40:1 by any stretch. Just trying to get the most out of what I have.

When finishing you run the risk of the syrup foaming and boiling over the edge of your pot. When that happens it makes a big mess and wastes a lot of syrup. That's why as you see people slow down the boil to finish. Boiling over can happen in the blink of an eye if you aren't careful. The other reason to control the heat when finishing is to prevent burning. The upper edges of your finishing pan can be much hotter than the part of the pan in contact with the syrup. Those hot edges can cause burning.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Thanks Cjadamec. That's what's happening. It's foaming up, and I can see the edges of the pot are turning the foam brown. I get a really good rolling boil with the wood, which I'm assuming is good. For some reason I was thinking I should have the same with the propane. I'm going to boil this week. I usually boil when I have around 30 gallons. As I've said in a previous post, I'm small time. I'll settle things down this time for my final boil.
    Thanks again.

The ratio on the Reds for me is 56:1, so not bad, I have had worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    Trying to beat the snow forecast for tonight.
    Do you have your pans directly over the fire? What are you getting per hour for evap?

Front two pans are over the fire then there is a ramp under the back 3. I think at it's peak it's close to 20gph but I average around 15 if I keep things well tended. Still playing with how to run it. Wish I had a nice 2x5 flat pan. Already started looking for next season.
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2022 back at it

Quote Originally Posted by farmer james View Post
    The ratio on the Reds for me is 56:1, so not bad, I have had worse.
    Same here farmer james. 56:1 at each boil. For some reason the last boil was higher, as in less sugar, more water.

Quote Originally Posted by Cjadamec View Post
    When finishing you run the risk of the syrup foaming and boiling over the edge of your pot. When that happens it makes a big mess and wastes a lot of syrup. That's why as you see people slow down the boil to finish. Boiling over can happen in the blink of an eye if you aren't careful. The other reason to control the heat when finishing is to prevent burning. The upper edges of your finishing pan can be much hotter than the part of the pan in contact with the syrup. Those hot edges can cause burning.
    Much better today. Once the sap was getting close to syrup I slowed down the stove and let it boil slower. Once I switched from wood to propane, I kept it at a steady boil, but didn't allow it to foam up like I was previously. Very happy with this batch, and felt like it was a more controlled finish boil.
    Thanks again.

My average for last season, with over 95% sugars was only 72:1, most years it is in the 40:1 to 45:1 range. The temperature varies as the barometric pressure changes plus it is related to your elevation above sea level. Get it real close with the thermometer and always verify with the hydrometer or refractometer or hydrotherm.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-22-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Finished another 5 quarts from this past week. Seems like everything has stopped running around me with all the warm temps. Looks a little like the end of my season if it doesn't get cold again sometime soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 back at it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast