+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: South Central and South Eastern PA

possibly - very interested

Sap started running today. My high volume low sugar lines did not run but my 2% trees did. Freezing again tonight so hoping for more tomorrow.

The one tree has buds looking suspsicious but the sap was clear and tasted ok.

I think we are at the end for south central Pa. Trees that ran great last week have slowed way down dispite a good reset the last few days. I am guessing tomorrow is my last collection day.

First year tapper. Wondering about timing and when people plan on tapping. Looking at the forecast, after the polar vortex moves on, it's supposed to be in the 50s for a few days.It's not supposed to get down below freezing at night so I'm guessing that's not ideal to tap. I don't want to jump the gun, understanding that if anyone could predict the weather accurately they probably wouldn't be tapping trees. :-) Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by PHSINV View Post
    First year tapper. Wondering about timing and when people plan on tapping. Looking at the forecast, after the polar vortex moves on, it's supposed to be in the 50s for a few days.It's not supposed to get down below freezing at night so I'm guessing that's not ideal to tap. I don't want to jump the gun, understanding that if anyone could predict the weather accurately they probably wouldn't be tapping trees. :-) Thoughts?
    Tap away this weekend! The trees will run well for 2-3 days during a warm spell before they slow/stop. Looking at the forecast....the freeze/thaw weather cycle looks to kick in right after this 2-3 day warm spell and will reset the trees. Look for the trees to run like crazy when it warms up! Good Luck.

Thanks sbedilion!

Thanks, I will redeploy my taps this weekend
    Steve

SE Pennsylvania

2022 - 13 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 17.25
    2021 - 18 taps, RO5, 21”x24” SS pan with pre-warmer pan, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove - 12 pints
    2020 - 13 taps, RO5, backyard made wood fired 55gal drum stove with 2 lg 6” deep pans - 6.75 pints (very warm winter)
    2019 Rookie Season - 14 taps, RO5, turkey fryer with 6” deep pan - 16.5 pints

I plan on starting to tap this weekend. Looks like 2 days to run and then again going into next weekend after 3 days of warm.

Mostly all tapped. 23 taps put in today. Sap was running. Tomorrow should be better.

Sugar was 1.75% so far.

Anyone else tapped?

I put in 9 walnut taps today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast