+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: South Central and South Eastern PA

are they open trees or crowded in the woods?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Plutoman15 View Post
    are they open trees or crowded in the woods?

Joe
    Mine are all pretty much in the open.

Sap was flowing pretty good today. I am hoping for a good day tomorrow and maybe an ok day Tue before things shut down for a while. Way too warm coming up with not much hope 10 days from now.

Joe

So are we done in south central PA? Anyone see buds swelling? I was hoping for one more good run but the forecast is not promising.

The buds on the silver Maples I was tapping were popping the beginning of the week. I can't speak for other maples, but the silvers in Cumberland County are popped.

Default Where's The Sap!

Quote Originally Posted by Plutoman15 View Post
    Ross,
    Starting Sunday, the forecast shows 4 days in a row that does not get close to freezing. Are you saying that will end the season for the currents taps?

Joe
    Sorry I am late on this reply. Without sunshine I am losing energy fast. These last three days of rain have zapped my super maple syrup powers. I have been sapless for three days. I have had red maple trees completely dry up in the past with three days of warm weather. Sugar maples are better at recovery after a warm spell. I am hoping Tuesday the sap is in the sacks again. The sugar % has dropped to 1% on some trees and I do not boil 1% sap. Costs me too much money and time. I have 4 taps on Black Maple that were 3% to start and at last haul were 2.7%. Hoping they restart also. I have two gallons of syrup in jugs so far.
    Ross
    Ross
    2009 8 taps one cup syrup gas stove boiling

I'm done. I checked my buckets this morning and found basically no sap. Some of them were kind of nasty looking inside, so I just pulled all my taps. I've all my spiles and short tubing soaking in an acid bath in my pan for a day or two. I rinsed out the buckets but I'm thinking about replacing them all for next year. I made about 4.5 gallons of syrup this year from 15 taps. That's pretty good for me. No complaints.

I pulled my buckets last week but I see freezing temps coming this weekend. Silver maples are popping around here but I am hoping the norways hold on for next week. I will check buds before collecting again. Might be too late, we will see.

Suppose to freeze the next 3 nights. Whats the chances we get one more flow? Norway buds don’t look plump yet.

Good luck plutoman!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast