+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: South Central and South Eastern PA

Default South Central and South Eastern PA

How is the flow going in our area of Pennsylvania? Weather looks good until next week when it looks to stay above freezing for too long. Trees were mostly flowing really well yesterday and I am expecting a lot tonight.

I am new to sugaring so when does our area usually see the end of syrup season?

Joe

Depending on the weather trend, we could go at least well into March I should think.
    I checked my traps this morning and was pleased to find most of them about 3/4 full. They all were maybe 1/4 full when they shut down a week or so back.

Hi Joe, I put my taps in today. All 8 sugar maple trees. Yes, it's time and the flow should be good. I am counting on four weeks of flow from today. However, keeping the sap cold will be a challenge near the forth week to keep it from spoiling (think of it as milk), but not an issue if you boil right away. If there are three or more days in a row without an overnight freeze, the tap hole will dry out and the season will end. Keep records of your tapping adventures and syrup making so you can plan for next season. Notes are very helpful. FYI, I am in Elizabethtown, Lancaster, Pa. Have Fun!
    Ross
    Ross
    2009 8 taps one cup syrup gas stove boiling

Ross,
    Starting Sunday, the forecast shows 4 days in a row that does not get close to freezing. Are you saying that will end the season for the currents taps?

Joe

I had my best night collecting sap. Even my dry maples are starting to drip. Sugar is really low though. One big open tree is at 2%, the rest are barely 1% so my average is just over 1%. I have a small RO system which will help a lot.

Anxious to see what one day of 60 degrees does. Half of my trees I think are still frozen. Tomorrow should thaw them out.

Joe

Trees are flowing today. Hoping it doesn’t end the season being warm too long.

Joe

I made an interesting, if not disturbing discovery today. But first, Since it's warm out today and I was concerned about my 35 or so gallons of sap spoiling, and I won't be able to boil again 'til maybe Monday, I figured I better do it today. I ended up with just a bit less than a gallon of nice light syrup. Now for the interesting part! Since I knew I had to be respectable later on today, I did my whole boil without having a beer! I know, right?! Who-da thunk it was possible?

What sugar percent is everyone seeing? I am averaging just over 1% using a mostly Norway, one silver, and 1 Walnut. One big open Norway gives me 2%, the silver and walnut 1.25%, and the rest is 1% or worse. Unfortunately I do not have any Sugar Maples.

What are you all seeing? I see a lot of complaining for low sugar this year in other threads.

Joe

Joe,

I am just north of you in Newville and work in Chambersburg. I can't help you on this one, but its cool knowing there are people around that are doing syrup. Being my first year doing this thing, I have sunk money into taps, block for the cookin pit and buckets. Considered springing for the stuff to measure the sugar percentage in my sap but figured that i'd spent enough for this year and really, it is what it is and I would be cooking it down regardless of whether it was 1 or 2 or 3%. I will have one for next year though, along with a homemade reverse osmosis system and I am going to have a 2x4 stainless pan made to cook in.
    I don't know what percentage my sap is running, but it was sweeter than I expected when I tasted it. So I guess that's a good thing....

Justin

My sugar has been pretty good, at least according to my home brewers hydrometer. I only have two sugar maples but as of yesterday the sap was at 3%. The rest, all silvers are giving sap at 2.2%, all combined.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast