+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm thinking Friday

Saturday for me in Lenawee County
    2013 25 taps 2.5 gallons
    2014 60 taps 9.5 gallons
    2015 12 x 16 sugar shack 200 taps 1500' 5/16 lines gravity. Home made arch, 2 x 3 pan and 18" x 24" steam pan.
    2016 2 x 5 Smokey Lake hybrid pan. Custom steam hood and float box. Number of taps yet to be determined.
    2017 Made 27 gallons. Added 60 taps on 3/16 lines.
    2018 Adding more 3/16 lines. Made 55 gallons
    2019 Added 4 totes for sap storage. Big shack upgrades.

did my 3/16 on gravity yesterday.
    thinking Saturday for the buckets
    hastings
    125 taps
    75 on 3/16 gravity
    50 on buckets
    2x4 flat pan with dividers with 2x2 finish pan
    AUF

570 Polaris ranger with horse tank sap hauler
    smokey lake steam bottler

2017 125 taps 25 gal syrup (long season)
    2018 125 taps 39 gal syrup
    2019 125 taps 20 gal had some left from 2018
    2020 ?

Default Friday

Located in Holland

I did a couple of test taps today and will probably get the rest in Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out as we have about 14" of snow still on the ground.

I'm curious...usually, I don't have much if any snow on the ground when I have tapped in the past. In your experience how does heavy snow pack affect sap run?
    Last edited by A guy in Holland; 02-14-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshalljt View Post
    I was thinking Saturday myself. Midland
    I'm in the Clare area and thinking of holding off for a bit longer but all my trees are on a north facing hill side. I will definitely be watching the weather closely.

My dad has property in Clair we are trying to figure out when we should tap up that way also

Quote Originally Posted by A guy in Holland View Post
    Located in Holland

I did a couple of test taps today and will probably get the rest in Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out as we have about 14" of snow still on the ground.

I'm curious...usually, I don't have much if any snow on the ground when I have tapped in the past. In your experience how does heavy snow pack affect sap run?
    this much snow is new for me during maple season. it shouldn't affect the run much. its nice to have snow to pile up and keep the collection tanks cooler though. it is going to make hauling sap more difficult for me as I haul my sap on a trailer behind the mower. looks like some descent maple weather coming up. I think we're in for a good year.

Default It’s crunch time

I’m tapping this Sunday. Got free labor Hope to get everything hung out. Still have lots to do but gaining. Was working on the arch’s base stack in January and discovered where it meets the stack it rusted through in January. Galvanized. Ordered new ss base and stack. Still waiting to get it in. Going to cover the hole with a ss draw tight coupler temporarily.
    I’m usually tapped a week earlier but was just to cold. Plus foot of snow. Lost half the snow today and with a another warm day tomorrow with rain should drop it down drastically. Above/below freezing all next week ideal weather. South Jackson county. Good luck everyone. Let’s hope we can get a decent season this year.
    Father Son Syrup
    Since 2006
    200 taps on buckets
    2 x 6 Dalliare raised flue
    15 x 21 sugarshack
    Kubota L3010,Polaris Ranger & Kipor Sap Buggy
    A wife that loves me. ❤

This just makes me sad I am missing this season.

Ah well post pictures of it all for me
    Otherwise I would be getting ready to tap myself with what next week looks like especially.
    43.6728° N Sanford MI.

2015 100 3/16 taps/buckets. 540 gallons of sap = 12 gallons finished. grill side burner (propane)
    2016 100 3/16 taps/buckets 315 gallons of sap = 11 gallons finished Turkey Fryer/ grill side burner (propane)
    2017 100 3/16 taps /buckets 797 gallons of sap = 8 3/4 gallons finished. Home made brick arch (wood)

We are in Petoskey about 35 miles south of the bridge. Our bush is on the north side of Gray hill with many south facing slopes. It does take them a couple of days to wake up so we are waiting for a 10 day that looks good. Y'all are about 2 weeks ahead of us typically. Good luck everyone! Oh hey Snappysweets (I hear you get to live this season through us) maybe you could run around and visit everyone else's sap shack. Something I miss with having my own.

I am going to start to get ready after ice fishing sunday. I tap about 80 trees on our archery club land, make the syrup and donate it to my club for sale to members

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast