+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bacterial Leaf Scorch

Default Bacterial Leaf Scorch

Early last summer I noticed the eight sugar maples in my yard were not looking good. The leaves were about half normal size. The leaf canopies were about 50 percent of normal. Later in the summer--long before fall--the leaf edges turned brown and the leaves dropped early. The summer weather was ideal for trees--plenty of moisture and moderate temperatures. However, the summer before was very dry here. I didn't notice this condition in any of my other sugar maples off the yard, but my friend about four miles away had the same issue on her trees.

I've been reading about bacterial leaf scorch, which seems to describe by issue:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.o...af-scorch.aspx

The tree will go into steady decline and death. There is no cure. Yikes. Is it possible I have this disease? Could it be spread by tapping? Anyone here seen this? Know any more about it? Thanks for any info. I won't know any more until this summer, but perhaps my sugar will be way down this maple season.

Marc
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

I have noticed similar symptoms in my sugarbush. Also had a wet summer last year, and a dry one prior to it. It seems to be sporadic through the sugarbush. Some parts seem to be affected worst than others. Small foliage and open canopy.

It doesn't seem to be exclusively in tapped sections of the forest. I have noticed on neighbors untapped properties as well.

Yikes.

Thanks for the link to the webpage.

Maybe could also be forest tent caterpillar? Or gypsy moth?

Check out the thread: "what's up with the maple trees" a few threads down

+ Reply to Thread