+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Haro Sap Lifter Float

Default Haro Sap Lifter Float

I have a sap lifter this style: http://www.lsbilodeau.com/en/Catalog...p-lifter.shtml

I realized the float in my lifter is leaking and was full of ice when I started it up yesterday. Needless to say it would not work as the float was too heavy. So I drilled a hole, thawed ice and drained it. Then plugged the hole with a ss screw. Then the lifter worked flawlessly.

This morning it is filled again so I need to fix this. My first thought is to drill a larger hole, then inflate a balloon inside the float....

Has anyone else had this issue?
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Replace it. Don't take a chance. Use the fixed one as a spare. I'm thinking of buying a sap lifter for next season. Does it eat up CFMs?

Spud

Haven't had to fix ours yet, but I would like it to trip sooner. We bent the rod a little and that helped some. Would like a little more though. I had someone mention that they fixed their duck decoys with spray foam and they thought the focus floated higher with the foam in them than the ones without. Any ways, a possible fix might be to fill float with spray foam.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Spud, I can't tell you for certain, but I don't think they eat a lot of cfms. Obviously during the lift some will be used but only during actual lift. Not continuously.
    shrunken producer, from 8,000 taps to 4,000 to 5800 to 9500 to 11,000 vac
    5x16 woodchip fired evaporator with 5x10 max flue and 5x6 revolution front pan
    CDL 20+ RO
    Double 10"filterpress

sp-11, bb2, airtech L63, L160, L230 vac pumps
    CDL low profile electric releaser
    MES 8000 electric releaser
    CDL 4000 tap mechanical releaser

Quote Originally Posted by lew View Post
    Haven't had to fix ours yet, but I would like it to trip sooner. We bent the rod a little and that helped some. Would like a little more though. I had someone mention that they fixed their duck decoys with spray foam and they thought the focus floated higher with the foam in them than the ones without. Any ways, a possible fix might be to fill float with spray foam.
    Unless you are sure the float is not leaking, it may be worth checking it as that would make it trip later. This was the symptom I was experiencing and when the float is empty it trips quite a bit sooner than it was with any sap in it.

I ended up using the balloon trick which got me through yesterday's run. I also considered the spray foam option as well...

In the end, as I suspected, it turns out the float is a plastic toilet float and I found one at the local hardware store for $2.50. I could have purchased a replacement float and flapper from Leader for $53, but my flapper works fine....

They do use some CFMs, as they use a small leak but it seems to be pretty minimal. Mine is right behind my sugarhouse though on a dedicated wet and dry line...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread