+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dill 2018

Wow thats late. Ours was running like mad at midday without vacuum. Did you get anything yesterday?
    Matras Maple

Started 15 years ago as backyard operation.
    Now have a 1100 taps and growing. CDL hobby 250 ro.
    New for 2018, a 2.5x8 leader infurno with steamaway.

I'm not sure why the wet/dry system froze up so hard. After all the whole point is to prevent massive ice jams like this. Most of the bush is north facing and we just weren't getting enough direct sun to melt. Not sure what came in. I haven't been back to check yet.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    Hoping to have 800 taps on our property this year, 350 on other bush
    3.5x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    RV2 pump at other bush, ebayed Sogevac at home

The ups and downs of sugaring yesterday. Hit the woods at 2. And the woods tank was full! I've never actually seen it full. Had to hike back and forth 3 times because its bigger then the sugarhouse tank and I had to make a hole with the RO. The helper fired up at 5. I got back out of the woods about 530. And suddenly the weirdest thing I've ever seen an evaporator do. Basically my flu pan suddenly got way over full and when I opened the view door it "Burped" about 30 gals of foam and sap onto me and the floor. We got that all sorted. And the first syrup pull went a bit odd but again we thought we had it handled. Then the temp spiked on the 2nd draw and we started pulling black sludge and lost the pan. I started shoveling snow and we got the fire out. We pulled the whole rig apart swapped the pan and cleaned top to bottom last night. And I still have zero idea what the heck happened. Basically there was no sap flow to the middle channels. Fire had been going about 2 hours at that point, so I can't believe the U connecting the syrup pan was froze up. So we made 8 gals of black sludge and dumped probably another 10 on the floor. At one point the kid tested the liquid on the floor and it was 9%.
    burn.jpgburn2.jpg
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO

Oh that pan looks toast.
    2011-73 taps, Barrel evaporator, Made 16 Gallons, http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/l603/palmer4th/
    2012-100-120 taps, flat pan 2x6 http://s1126.photobucket.com/albums/...Sugar%20Shack/
    2013- 150 taps, added blower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlowhYM0as

Pan is toast. Its warped to hell. Good news is I bought it with a spare. Not sure what costs more the pan or the 20 gals of ruined/dumped syrup.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO

It would be worth considering if there is any place in your evaporator where sap could be spoiling between boils. I have had a couple similar experiences with sap and syrup going ropey mid season with extreme foam and scorched pans.

In my case it was the rear float box.... but anywhere that sap may not get to boiling in your rig could be a potential area of concern. A preheater or float boxes or pipes connecting any of these can be a culprit.

I don't know how your rig is configured but your experience sounds very similar to mine....
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I think thats exactly what happened. I don't remember if there was liquid up in the steamaway over that period but it would completely make sense with the extreme foam.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO

Yup 'ben there,done that. Had a leaf get stuck between the flue and the syrup pan a couple of times in the past few years...get's a little exciting really fast.A sugar house a few towns north of me has a quick turn valve and a coil of large hose right in the line from the head tank to the steam-away...brilliant idea for a fast flood when needed.

That same type of thing happened to me a few years back. I bought my filter press and wanted to try it out. I was boiling end of season sap that should have been dumped and just as the syrup came up to temp it burnt to a crisp. Warped the pan and left a nice blue patina under the charcoal.

Fortunately you have a spare pan because who knows how long it will take to get another one.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple producing world!

Algier 2x6 evaporator, W F Mason arch
    Lapierre 125gph RO machine
    SP 22 vacuum pump
    1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor Sap Hauler

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg247/russhd1997/

Yes the spare pan really paid off today. Got the 200 gals of concentrate we had to leave last night boiled down. Didn't make syrup but got really close. First time I've ever boiled this rig without a front hood. Combine that with the full on blizzard today. And that lead to a really steamy situation in the sugarhouse. I kept taking off my glasses but nope the it was just a cloud in there. I had been up there about 2 hours when I took the outside pic and we got way more snow. When I checked before dinner it was about 30inches. I've had my issue with David Yochaim. But I have to say today I'm impressed. 2 pans coming next week. 250 each plus shipping.
    blizzard.jpgsteamy.jpg
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    CDL 600 RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast