+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these spiles right?

Question Are these spiles right?

Hi all. Last year I got so busy I forgot to clean my steel spiles. So needless to say they rusted... a lot. I threw them out and recently bought new ones from an eBay seller. I prefer the steel ones. I only put out between 20-30 tapes each season and hang buckets on them.

I have only boiled for a couple of years so I still consider myself new at this. So hopefully this new guy is just worrying too much but I was wondering if these taps I got are made the right way? I ask because the top and back of them look different than the ones I had before. Hopefully I am worrying for nothing, but thought I'd ask.

Also - can they go in the dishwasher? Or would boiling them in water for an hour clean them just fine?

Thanks!

1 (Copy).jpg

2 (Copy).jpg

3 (Copy).jpg

4 (Copy).jpg

southfork Guest

Those will work just fine in a clean tap hole. Personally, I would boil in clean warm water, no soap added.

Steel spiles are probably going to rust if you clean them or not. our old steel ones were washed every year and re used over and over. Made lots of good syrup with them too.
    The new ones you have look good.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Try the plastic spiles and you will likely not go back to the steel ones. For one thing, those steel ones want a 7/16 hole, most plastic ones use a 5/16 hole in the tree, which closes up faster after pulling them. On plastic however you want them new each year, unless you use the zap bac ones, they are used 2-3 years.
    One other way, using the steel spiles, clean them, then pack them in an oil such as canola, or safflower or similar. Then clean them in the dishwasher before tapping next season. That should prevent the rust.
    Last edited by maple flats; 02-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

4 minutes of boiling will sterilize them and if thoroughly dry and stored properly, they'll be good to go next year. No chemicals except H2O. What do you use for buckets?
    Last edited by Daveg; 02-11-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I would boil in clean warm water, no soap added.[/QUOTE]

I prefer this method of cleaning. Just having fun with you southfork. I still catch myself saying Hot water heater when in fact its a cold water heater.

southfork Guest

I agree Haynes, that was an interesting comment. Good luck this season.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Southfork are you in the witness protection program? What part of Wisco are you at......close to Door

Thanks all for the replies. Sounds like I'm good to go! I'll go ahead and boil them before I use them, since they are new. They have a strong metal smell to them. I'll boil them again after the season to clean them too.
    Daveg, I use these 4gal white buckets that a guy gave me. He used to use them when he made syrup.
    Thanks again. Hope the season is good to you all.

I have some older spiles just like that. Mine are stainless steel so no worries about rust. As others have said, just boil em for a few minutes and your good to go. Try sticking a magnet to the spile, won't stick if it's stainless.

2016 - 90 taps and a brick lined oil tank arch (60L of syrup)
    2017 - 100 taps (60L)
    2018 - 60 taps (12L of syrup)
    2019 - 75 taps (22L of syrup)
    2020 - 75 taps (25L of syrup)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast