+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moisture trap

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Was the trap in a heated space or unheated? If unheated, they can definitely fail due to ice buildup trapping the ball that would normally close off the vacuum line when it fills with sap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

unheated space.attachment.jpg
    Last edited by swlyamaha; 03-16-2018 at 02:04 PM.
    Stan

2 X 8 Leader Max flue, Revolution Front Pan
    Mini extreme 2 leader RO ( New for 2017 )
    2 diaphragm vacuum pumps (1 new for 2017 )
    700 taps

They can most definitely fail if they are outside. That's why I have 2 at the releaser and another about 1/3 of the way up my 1500' vacuum line and another at the pump. I've had sap make it through the first one but never the second one. The other ones are boosters and insurance.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by swlyamaha View Post
    unheated space.Attachment 18166
    That looks like a single-chamber LaPierre releaser I used to have one and I could not figure out why it would not dump whene full, I messed with it for 2 years before replacement. What I don't understand is I could never figure out why it would not dump the prop rod on the top of the float would move the actuator but still no dump I lube it I cleaned it the plunger moved freely- no fix...... However the double LaPierre releasers I think are some of the most reliable,. Maybe that was just a bad one as it was used, I went with a CDL releaser on this tank and from what I can see they are pretty reliable.
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

I would not worry about your pumping problems to much.I think maybe your stock gal tank is a much by far more of something to deal with.

I am sorry I am not tying to bash this site or topic or anyone . I myself have seen, and been dealing with heavy metal problems in my body from working part time in a body shop many years ago soldering with lead on cars and trucks. They tell me {doctors] that is most likely were the cancer started from. .Using proper food grade equipment is truly the only safe way to go. For every ones sake. Try to reduce any area in production that has exposure .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123