+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie

Question Newbie

I plan on trying my had at tapping and making my own Maple syrup this year. I recently purchased a new home with 5 mature sugar maples and 2 red maples. Is there any tips anyone can give me for a newbie?

I do have a couple questions:

1. DTE recently went through and trimmed trees off the power lines one of these trees was one of the sugar maples I was hoping to tap, they took a pretty good size limb off the tree, would you guys tap the tree this year or wait till next year?

2. I was thinking of tapping the trees on Sunday do you guys think it is to early? I looked at the extended forecast and it looks like we are in for warm up this week and defiantly next week.

Thank You.

As far as the tree that DTE buzzed I'd leave it alone this year.

I may tap trees on Sunday. Yes a few days next week look good but I need to study the forecast a wee bit more. I at least will be getting all my gear out there.

Good luck!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Welcome to the sport of maple sugaring. Now remember when you drill that hole in the tree you start in motion a time clock. The first thing that starts is the growth of bacteria from the second outside contaminants hits the tape hole. You will hear that the hole dried up. Bacteria will grow and clog up the capillaries stopping the sap flow. So the sooner you tap the sooner it stops so don't be to quick to get started. Now I would hang a nice big bucket under the cut branch area.

Always willing to help. Email me at billboersma007@gmail.com with any questions.
    20 years into this - Started with 8 paint cans and a borrowed turkey fryer
    100 taps / old school buckets / cinder block arch fired with natural gas / pair of 2x3 pans

+ Reply to Thread