+ Reply to Thread

Thread: maryland, anne arundel, help?

Default maryland, anne arundel, help?

Hi all just trying maple syruping for the first time this year but having little to no luck. I tapped 10 trees around jan. 12th when we thawed after that very deep freeze and temps seemed ideal from my research. by jan. 21st i produced a whopping 3/4 gallon of sap or so that I boiled down to a few ounces of syrup just to give it a try ( was really delicious). since then those 10 trees have produced only drops at a time, so about a week ago went deeper into the woods and tapped another 7 bigger(around 2 feet diameter) red maples in lower wetter areas and have only produced another gallon maybe from those (most was from only 3 trees). I am hoping I'm still just to early but we've usually been going into freezing at night with highs almost up to 40. ( today is high 39 and rain, originally forcasted to be almost 50) is this normal for early season? all trees are red maples and I'm in central to southern maryland about a mile from the bay. I may post this in virginia too if I don't see a response , they seem more active.

I'm by know means a expert,but I tapped 2weeks and collected 118gal since then nothing do to cold and not above freezing for long but this weekend it should Bo running like crazy! Post what kind of taps n how your collecting how deep you drilled n where.I spoke with a guy down that way a few try's ago n was struggling to make syrup,reds can be funny I have sugars so don't know much but they can be different.maybe someone will chim in but good luck keep trying or put it in the syrup forum ?
    2021 95 taps all on 3/16' natural gravity 2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

i have 5/16th taps , white plastic connected to tubing draining into 5 gallon buckets and some one gallon jugs. i drilled about an inch in or just over. taps are beetween 2 and 4 feet off the ground and mostly south facing, it did seem to be picking up when i just checked tonight, but still drips compared to what I thought I should be getting? maybe the reds here like it warmer? I thought if you guys north of me and higher elevation were flowing good i must be behind but the days where theres been improved flow have been the warmest days yet, guess we'll keep on waiting

Everything you say your doing sounds good,keep us posted how things go!if your trees are out in the open you may have great sugar content like 2-3% where my trees are shaded by 90-110' tulip n oaks in the woods so I have to collect 3 times more to equal a tree like a open one.My sugar content is around 1% so volume isn't everything!
    2021 95 taps all on 3/16' natural gravity 2018 home built 4x40 RO 2017 1000 sap 15gal syrup 4 runs of 3/16 natural vac 1 of 5/16 2016 775gal of sap made 12gal syrup 2015 18.5 gal about 55 taps. Have the best wife! cub cadet volunteer 4x4 sap hauler

Update: the sap is finally flowing! beetween last night and today picked up about 17 gallons that I have boiling now, yesterdays temps were in the upper 60's, im thinking my trees like it warmer than what all the resources for sugaring sugest. my trees are all woods trees but they are whats left after logging so some of them are fairly open now or have little competition in the canopy. ive attatched a picture of the boil off for anyone who wants a giggle at my novice setup
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome we all started out like this!!! Just be careful watch how this disease grows in a good way!!! Enjoy it there's nothing like making your own have fun!

Yea nice starting setup ! Hope thats not an Aluminum pot....

Default Pan

You may want to get a full sized steam table pan to boil in. Only fill it a couple of inches deep. You will have more square inches of area for the steam to leave and it will get boiling quicker.evap_i.jpg
    Just tapped my trees up here in Minnesota yesterday. Looking forward to boiling this weekend.

+ Reply to Thread