Hi all just trying maple syruping for the first time this year but having little to no luck. I tapped 10 trees around jan. 12th when we thawed after that very deep freeze and temps seemed ideal from my research. by jan. 21st i produced a whopping 3/4 gallon of sap or so that I boiled down to a few ounces of syrup just to give it a try ( was really delicious). since then those 10 trees have produced only drops at a time, so about a week ago went deeper into the woods and tapped another 7 bigger(around 2 feet diameter) red maples in lower wetter areas and have only produced another gallon maybe from those (most was from only 3 trees). I am hoping I'm still just to early but we've usually been going into freezing at night with highs almost up to 40. ( today is high 39 and rain, originally forcasted to be almost 50) is this normal for early season? all trees are red maples and I'm in central to southern maryland about a mile from the bay. I may post this in virginia too if I don't see a response , they seem more active.