+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sap Storage

Default Sap Storage

I was wondering what is the rule of thumb for gallons of storage per tap, per day. I plan on boiling every day (if there is something to boil) so I am looking to see how big of a tank I will need for 1 day of sap. I have 150-200 taps that will be on vacuum.
    Thanks, Matt

Usually the rule of thumb is 1 gallon per tap for storage per day. But with vacuum I'd go up to 1.5gal/tap. It is good to also have room to spare should something come up where you can't boil every day. Especially since you are small enough you could get a 300-400 gal tank. You never know when you might get sick or need to go do something else for a day so I always like to keep a little room to spare
    Keith

Default sap storage

I would go with a minimum 400 gallon; 500 would be better for those mega -runs.

the guy down the street from me uses a 300 gallon tank with vaccum for 200 taps and he says his tank will get to the rim. so ide recomend a 350 to 400 gallon tank
    pine grove sugarhouse
    600 taps
    16x24 sugarhouse. not even close to finished...
    4x10 leader drop flue
    too much stuff to worry about

john l Guest

it would make a differance if your trees were north or south face and if they was 8 in or 28in.150 12in trees that face north would be doing well to produce 100 gallons of sap a day it is very seldom i see the gallon per tap here in maine road side trees will do that and then some but not alot of sugar bush
    have fun
    john

On our roadside trees a average to small run would be 400 gal. We did have 900 gallon on 425 taps this year in one day. Theaes were on buckets and tubing mixed. So if you have vacuum you may need more storage.

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread