+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deer Meadow Farm's sugar house build

Default Deer Meadow Farm's sugar house build

Looks like we'll be boiling outside for one more season, but next year we'll be boiling in style! Everything at Deer Meadow Farm is on a hill so a conventional slab would be difficult and costly. We built a heavy duty deck, framed the floor 12" OC and glued down 3/4" T&G plywood. This summer we'll lay plastic on the floor and pour a floating cement slab.

The shack is 14 x 16 with a 4' porch out front. The loft is over the porch and extends into the building 2'. There will be an attached woodshed on the right side.

Other than the PT, plywood and pine top beams (Three 2 x 8's laminated) all the wood has been cut off the property. Posts are all hardwood (oak, ash, hickory) We're going for a timber-frame look. Here is where we finished off this weekend; all 4x8 oak rafters up and the cupola framing started.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. Never heard of floating a cement slab over a box sill and floor joists. What are you going to do for siding and a roof?
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Maybe floating slab isn't the correct term. I was concerned about the differences in expansion and contraction between the cement and the wood. When I researched it, I found a method of "free floating the cement slab from the wooden deck. By adding a layer of plastic on the wood before pouring the cement, the two surfaces will be able to react independently from each other. The slab "floats"...

For siding, most of our forest is hardwood; we have very little pine. I do have some huge poplar and the plan is to mill 1" boards, shiplap them, and use them for the siding and for the ceiling on top of the beam rafters. Then I'll sheath the roof with metal.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Maybe floating slab isn't the correct term. I was concerned about the differences in expansion and contraction between the cement and the wood. When I researched it, I found a method of "free floating the cement slab from the wooden deck. By adding a layer of plastic on the wood before pouring the cement, the two surfaces will be able to react independently from each other. The slab "floats"...

For siding, most of our forest is hardwood; we have very little pine. I do have some huge poplar and the plan is to mill 1" boards, shiplap them, and use them for the siding and for the ceiling on top of the beam rafters. Then I'll sheath the roof with metal.
    That's going to look great! I got what you meant about the floor. Just never heard of pouring a cement floor over wood joists. Good luck with the rest of the build.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

It's been a while since my last update. Here are pictures from last weekend. Metal roof came in yesterday and will begin to go on this weekend!

IMG_5068.jpgIMG_5069 (002).jpg

DMF, that really looks great.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

looks awesome, is that a driveway you built next to or a road? just curious.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    looks awesome, is that a driveway you built next to or a road? just curious.
    Thanks. That's our driveway, but being that it was over 1/3 mile long they gave us the road rate!

Quote Originally Posted by DMF View Post
    Thanks. That's our driveway, but being that it was over 1/3 mile long they gave us the road rate!
    my driveway is only 65ft and I could not afford taxes if I paved it! no joke.
    Business Name
    Flat Lander Sugaring (who would think a guy from Az be making syrup)
    125 on Sap Suckers
    Close to 475 High Vac
    400 gravity adding more
    leader 2x6
    home made preheater
    hoods
    1 7D749 for AOF
    New FLS Tsunami Arch
    4 membrane TR Industries RO 2HP 3 phase 601GPH 250 PSI
    PID Display for Arch Temp.
    Chumlee of the trader

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Lander Sugaring View Post
    my driveway is only 65ft and I could not afford taxes if I paved it! no joke.
    We had no tax increase by paving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast