+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sugarhouse using a corrugated steel Quonset-style building

Default Sugarhouse using a corrugated steel Quonset-style building

Does anyone have experience or suggestions on converting a corrugated steel Quonset-style building into a sugar house. My biggest challenge is the corrugated roof/sides to run the chimney and steam vents through. Fabricating a waterproof roof/sidewall jack seems to be a big challenge. If you know of anyone using such a building for a sugarhouse, I would appreciate it. Any suggestions would be helpful. I know it would be great for fireproofing! I need a new sugarhouse, and I already have the building.

Malcolm MacKenzie
    Naples, NY

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Should be good, but be sure to have enough cupola. For the smoke stack, go thru one of the up ribs , get good measurements and then have your local tinshop fab up a roof jack. If you can tell them exactly what you have with accurate measurements, they can fit it perfectly. When you cut the opening for the stack, save the piece removed too, that will help them. They will also need to know if you are at the very top of an arch or on a slope down one side and the angle of that slope. Being the rest will be galv. the jack will be good in galv. too. Have them make it in 22 or 20 ga.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you are putting a coupala in just extend it over where the stack will go and go through the coupala roof with a standard jack.

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:55 PM.

No, I have seen some radically damaged quonset barns that still held together. They are extremely sturdy, hard to work on if building rooms and such, but very strong.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

A cheap solution that we used was to take a galvanized trash can, flip it upside down and cut a hole for your stack. Just get a big enough can for free air space around your stack. Slide the can up through the roof from inside your building until its tight, fasten in place using some screws or what ever you want. Use the cover for the collar on top, just cut that hole tight and use high temp silicone to seal. Works great for us and cost me less than $20.00.

+ Reply to Thread