+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ready for 2018

Hybrid View

Default Ready for 2018

Hello Iowans! I'm starting to get the maple crazies. To quote Mel Gibson, " Hold! Hold! Hold!". Ted

All taps on tubing this year so i tapped early and have made 9 gallons of syrup so far. It's shaping up to be a great season.

Hey 150! Good to hear from you. My trees are all scattered around so tubing isn't an option for me. I'm super jealous. I've ordered some tubing and cv spouts to run into buckets on the ground here in my yard. I'm wondering/hoping that the cv's might keep the holes open longer. If they do I'll start phasing out the "traditional" spiles and buckets. Time will tell. I'd to see your set-up. If you'd be open to that please pm me. If not that's cool too. Ted

Threw in a quick 50 today. All running pretty hard.

Anxiously checking the weather and current temperature for the upcoming and possibly last 4 or 5 day run....

20180315_100906.jpg
    Sure was nice boiling inside this year too! Ted. It was a little more difficult laying on our sides all day but nice anyway
    Last edited by tbear; 03-17-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Sideways pic

Wow tbear that things a beauty! Got inside pics?

Glad to see we finally got an Iowa forum. I'm in the far NE corner of the state. The way the weather forecast looks we probably won't be tapping up here until the 20th of February or possibly even later. Just doing it as a hobby but as long as I can still get around it's nice to get out into the woods in the spring. My father used to put out about 2000 taps but we're only doing about 200 these days. Good tapping to everyone this year. Jim

Hey IowaSap! Purchased a Smoky Lake 2x5 flat (batch) pan and Corsair arch with a blower for AUF. Also put up a shack so no more wind to deal with. That thing roars, firing every 5 minutes with small diameter (split last year for my old setup) pine and spruce that's bone dry. Can't wait for my grandson to test ride it! Neither can he! Finished off a bit over 4 gallons of Golden today, then rested up. Boil on! Ted

Unhappy Not much running here yet!

Put out 200 taps last Saturday and Sunday (Feb 24th & 25th). Must have not been cold enough at nights this week as we didn't get much sap yet. We had 22° last night so hopefully will run well today. Still have time to have a good season. Headed for the Tri-State Forestry Conference in Sinsinawa, WI next Saturday (March 10th). Is anyone else gong?

Jim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast