+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ready for 2018

Default Ready for 2018

Hello Iowans! I'm starting to get the maple crazies. To quote Mel Gibson, " Hold! Hold! Hold!". Ted

All taps on tubing this year so i tapped early and have made 9 gallons of syrup so far. It's shaping up to be a great season.

Hey 150! Good to hear from you. My trees are all scattered around so tubing isn't an option for me. I'm super jealous. I've ordered some tubing and cv spouts to run into buckets on the ground here in my yard. I'm wondering/hoping that the cv's might keep the holes open longer. If they do I'll start phasing out the "traditional" spiles and buckets. Time will tell. I'd to see your set-up. If you'd be open to that please pm me. If not that's cool too. Ted

Glad to see we finally got an Iowa forum. I'm in the far NE corner of the state. The way the weather forecast looks we probably won't be tapping up here until the 20th of February or possibly even later. Just doing it as a hobby but as long as I can still get around it's nice to get out into the woods in the spring. My father used to put out about 2000 taps but we're only doing about 200 these days. Good tapping to everyone this year. Jim

Put out 22 taps today, Leader 5/16" CV Spouts, with tubing into 5 gallon buckets on the ground hoping for a bit longer season. I'll put out the 7/16" spiles with aluminum buckets when the temps warm a bit more. Ted

Hey all! Just Checking in. Nice to see we finally got our own page! Think im going to scale back this year. My chief bucket hauler and wood splitter graduated! Good luck all.

Hi Iowa Sugarers! We're working hard to get up and running, seems like we've missed some sap! We are switching over to 5/16 spouts this year and possibly going to tap with a battery powered drill instead of our old hand brace. We've also repaired the flange on our bulk tank and we're considering trying to dig out an old 200 gallon SS dairy tank from the syrup hill to use as a backup when we clean our poly tank. Anyway, gotta get moving, we'll update later.

Great to see the dedicated Iowa forum. Been hobbying for a few years now and always enjoy the reports. Boil down for us is a great family spring break activity. Boys and I put a dozen taps in on Sunday. Let er flow!

I see everyone is getting ready. It looks like next week will be perfect. I don't think I will be able to do much if any this year because of some health problems. I guess I will just have to watch from the sidelines this year. I hope everyone has a great year. We went to Michigan this year on vacation and I bought some maple cream. It was very tasty. Has anyone tried making that? I might have to try with some of last years I still have. upmep

Hey upmep, sorry to hear about health concerns. Sending positive waves from SouthEast Iowa for a speedy recovery and good outcome. Ted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast