+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New member

Default New member

Morning everyone -

New member here. Quick background - have made syrup very very primitively on a gas cook stove for a number of years...had about 8 taps. Recent years the interest had spiked and just bought a Smoky Lake 2x4. Gonna try for at least 25 taps but hopefully more.

Cheers

Jim

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Hang on Jim your in for a hell of a ride. My condolences to your family and friends.

welcome... and good luck!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

...and so it begins.

Welcome, there's a wealth of knowledge here for us newbies.

Did you get a divided pan?

If so, I think you might want to shoot for more taps. I was surprised how much sap I needed to boil to draw syrup from my Smoky Lake 2x4 divided pan.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

Welcome and have fun. Funny how each time I upgrade my evaporator setup I expect it to save me time, I think I ended last year with something like 60-80 hrs boiling time which was 50%-100% more than the previous year.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by red dorakeen View Post
    ...and so it begins.

Welcome, there's a wealth of knowledge here for us newbies.

Did you get a divided pan?

If so, I think you might want to shoot for more taps. I was surprised how much sap I needed to boil to draw syrup from my Smoky Lake 2x4 divided pan.
    I did purchase a divided pan. I was told that the evap should work fine but I might need to draw off and finish inside with the lower # of trees. I am in pursuit of more taps....i hope. The evap gets delivered today!

How much wood do you go thru and do you have blown or naturally aspirated lol?

+ Reply to Thread