+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: a map app for your tapping updates

Hey Barrons, I am little confused as to why the altitude for my location keeps changing. It's been listed at 364 ft, 399 ft and just now at 503 ft!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2018 - 17 taps/7 trees...819l sap, approx 28l syrup
    2019 - 18 taps/8 trees...585l sap, 28l syrup...21:1 ratio
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2021 - 18 taps/8 trees...395l sap, 12 l syrup
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup
    2023 - 18 taps/8 trees...all sugars again. 807l sap, so far approx 14l syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    Hey Barrons, I am little confused as to why the altitude for my location keeps changing. It's been listed at 364 ft, 399 ft and just now at 503 ft!
    I haven't seen that behavior before myself...unless I'm running up and down hills For this response, I'll assume you're not doing that.

The altitude comes from google actually. Not me and not your phone. Your device gives its latitude and longitude to my app, and in the background I send that to google map, and get back what they say the altitude is for those coordinates. I don't think google would be changing it's topo maps like that so I can only guess that your device is giving different readings for lat/lon.

Can you take note and tell me if the latitude and longitude are changing too? In theory that can and sometimes should happen. GPS is not 100% accurate, and some phones can also triangulate off of radio to get more accurate. So that the longer you use a location based app in one spot, the GPS could be adjusting itself to get more accurate as you use it. So I wonder in your case if this is happening and the 364 is least accurate and the 503 is most accurate. It sounds like you also might be in a pretty hilly area so that if the GPS is moving a little bit there's some difference in ft like that.

The only other thing I can tell you that is good news is that the difference of 139 ft between those two readings is only going to affect the boiling point by about 1/4 of a degree F.

Hehe nope not running around up and down hills, and I don't have a cellphone *gasp* yeah I know...I do have fast-speed wifi but doubt that helps.

I don't know for sure but I think the info for my connection is being routed to me by way of Toronto, as that's where my ISP is physically located...would that make sense? I mention that cause every time I use a store locator info map, it always assumes I'm near the Eaton Centre in Toronto. Uhm nope! I'm approx 70km Southeast of Ottawa. I do recall in the past that when I used your app, like last year, the reading I got was, according to the app, from a tower in Spencerville, which made sense as it's 15min south of me.

Meantime I don't think long and lat have changed, it was elevation that caught me eye with all those discrepancies. I have asked another MTer who is quite close to me to check their lat/long so we can see if we're in the same ballpark.

Thanks!
    Been tapping since 2008.
    2020 - 18 taps/8 trees...890.04l sap...gave away about 170l, 30l snafu'd....23l total for me from approx 690l
    2022 - 18 taps/8 trees....7 sugars 1 red due to #2 having surgery so had the season off....582l sap, 18.5l syrup

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galena View Post
    I don't know for sure but I think the info for my connection is being routed to me by way of Toronto, as that's where my ISP is physically located...would that make sense? I mention that cause every time I use a store locator info map, it always assumes I'm near the Eaton Centre in Toronto. Uhm nope! I'm approx 70km Southeast of Ottawa. I do recall in the past that when I used your app, like last year, the reading I got was, according to the app, from a tower in Spencerville, which made sense as it's 15min south of me.
    Yes that makes sense and exactly why the store locator you mentioned works like that. For example for me when I use my computer I get a location that is about 2 hours south of where I am sometimes and yet sometimes it's in my home town. So without the GPS on a computer we're mercy of whatever the ISP says our location is and that sounds like what is happening with your situation and the altitude. I had smart phone usage in mind when I wrote this.

I don't have an immediate fix for you but I do have plans to put a preference in here manually put in and save the location of your sugar shack. When I get that added it should help you there. Might not be for a bit, having a busy week at work and I've got sap to boil this weekend. But hopefully I'll get it soon and I'll PM you or post it back here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scm View Post
    No personal tracking device. I envy you right now. How could you be so lucky.
    Hehe I made the choice long ago to NOT jump on the bandwagon and have a device. The closest I've come is a pay-as-you-go flipphone, and it's great for helping me dodge bullets in slo-mo :-) I know most people don't get it and can't understand how I can live without one, but I just use the old-school computer in my head. Works and don't have to worry about it getting hacked or having to charge it ;-)
    Been tapping since 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by thbarrons View Post
    Now I have a question for you. If I were to add a field to log the sugar content, and make it optional, for those of you that measure it. What would that measurement value be entered as? Brix or a percent or something else? And does that measurement differ in US/Canada? Not sure since I don't measure that myself.
    Brix is the same in Canada. Some folks also use Baume which is a different scale. How can I get your app?

Sent from my SM-T817W using Tapatalk
    Eastern Ontario (Lanark Highlands)
    http://www.espritdanslaforet.ca or http://www.spiritintheforest.ca

Canada's First Provably Net Zero GHG Emissions Maple Syrup Producer
    Waterloo 18" x 5' wood fired evaporator

2022 - 121 taps on gravity lines, 1150 L online + 600 L offline storage
    2021 - 92 taps on buckets & gravity lines, 750 L storage
    2020 - 75 taps on buckets, 750 L storage
    2019 - 34 taps, 400 L storage
    2018 - 12 taps, 100 L storage

Nice job on these, looking forward to trying these out.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 09-26-2022 at 11:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345