+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head tank question

Default Head tank question

Are there any cheaper tanks you can get away with using for a year or two before you buy a stainless steel tank. I upgraded my evaporator to a 2x6 but dont have the money to dish out to buy even a 100gal stainless tank. Plastic or galvanized open tanks fro tractor supply? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
    2016 — 10 taps on a turkey fryer
    2017 — 58 taps on a Leader Half Pint
    2018 — 250 taps?? Leader 2x6 WSE

12x20 Sugar Shack
    2005 Honda Rincon sap hauler

You could use a ibc cage tank . Usually find a 275 gallon tank on Craigslist for around 100$ cut the top off and they are easy to clean
    30x8 leader inferno
    1800 on a liquid ring pump
    250 on a guzzler
    100 on a shurflo

My current setup is a 55 gallon drum up in the trusses. Have not run it yet, but have seen a number of setups like that. Would like stainless some day. I will feed into that from the milk tank that sits outside on the ground.

I got picked on by some other local sugar makers because it is a good 7 ft above my pans, but it saves space and was easy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you use the cage tote idea (IBC) be sure of what it contained before. Do not think you can safely remove non food contaminates from the pores. Once used IBC totes that had cooking oils, mild fruit juice concentrates (I used one once that originally contained vanilla extract, vanilla is one of the subtle flavors in maple syrup) and such are good.
    Then wash it out completely.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Sly go on line and look up Potable water tanks. The sky is the limit when it comes to food safe poly tanks. I know from experience that anything you but that buy that is of good quality will be around you sugar shack for a long time. As you grow it will be used down the line in a different application. When you outgrow your head tank it might be your finish syrup storage so don't skimp if possible.

Head tanks get slimy and you want something that is easy to clean. I had a poly tank that mounted in the rafters and it was a nightmare to clean. Because it had a small screw lid I couldn't scrub it out or power wash it so it did become the weak link in my quest for good sanitation. Then when I went to an RO cleaning concentrate out was impossible so I went to a open top SS dairy tank and its a 2 minuet job to clean and sanitize.

Quote Originally Posted by Haynes Forest Products View Post
    Head tanks get slimy and you want something that is easy to clean. I had a poly tank that mounted in the rafters and it was a nightmare to clean. Because it had a small screw lid I couldn't scrub it out or power wash it so it did become the weak link in my quest for good sanitation.
    Yes they do get slimy!! Very gross nasty smelly snotty slimy!! Found that out the hard way. I used a 55 gals drum, but cut the top right off and cut the top again so it kinda nests inside the part I use as a tank. So it still has a top on it, but I can undo a couple unions in the plumbing, drop the barrel down off the shelf I have it on and take that top off to clean it very easily.

2-15-2017_2.jpg
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Ditto on the food grade/safe 55 gallon drum. Again, make sure you can verify its contents. You can get those for somewhere around $25. Dollar for dollar, the IBC tote is a better deal, but it might be overkill for your head tank - although I see you are planning a huge expansion. I also kept mine up in the rafters and decided it was a PITA - hard to clean, sits in the hottest part of the sugarhouse, constant dripping from condensation. It's now outside on a platform.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

You could try this:

https://www.behlencountry.com/produc...pprox-100-gal/

I think they are sold at tractor supply for about $80.

We have used on for the last couple of years, it has worked well.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Those are a nice alternative. I used them for collection tanks in the woods and made some metal covers to keep the critters out. Easy to clean and store upside down for the off season.

I have a 55gal. poly drum on the wall very much like WNYBassman's set up. It was only supposed to be temporary, for our first year in the sugarhouse- the plan was to have a tank of some sort in the attic right above the evaporator. But after seeing how well it worked, coming up with another set up just didn't seem worth it. And being able to see through it (like Bassman's) was an added bonus. Knowing exactly what you have in there at all times is a good thing!
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast