+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tapping heights question.

Default tapping heights question.

Just wondering if I can tap my trees at higher positions to gain some extra drop in my lines? Is there a height that is to high. My bush the trees reach way up before they branch out so I was thinking I could gain some slope by placing taps higher up on my trees. I plan on running lines down to the shack this year.
    225 taps 180 on vac 45 on natural gravity lines.
    2x6 drop flue with auto draw.
    Home built 3 x400gpd ro
    2017 kubota M7060hdcc12
    2019 can am defender

2017- first year 80 taps 22x36 home made arch and pan.

In places where I need to tap high to get some slope I tap the end trees as high as I can reach and still be able to pull the tap at the end of the season.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Ran 450' of 3\16ths for the first time this year (also right to the shack) and going from the back hill to the woods I had to cross a small gully and plan on tapping two maples about 6 1\2 foot up. It's not ideal for an individual tap, I feel the gain in vacuum on the 12 trees further down the line that do very poorly on buckets, will more than make up for the loss in those two maples in my case. I just left the ladder out there for repairs and pulling taps.
    I wouldn't want to go too much higher myself but have seen pictures and video of lines tapped 8 and 9 foot up the tree.
    Matt Durrell
    2012 - 12 Taps hand me down 2x2 and made a barrel stove
    2014 - 20 Taps 8x10 timber-frame shack
    2015 - 25 Taps
    2016 - 28 Taps new 110 acres
    2017 - 12 Taps january, 55 Taps spring and 15 Taps fall, same ol 2x2
    2018 - Helping another sugarmaker 5000 Taps, 57 at home

I remember reading a paper on tapping heights, sometime in the last year, and it seemed to me that according to the paper six to eight feet was the sweet spot for sweetness volume, and pressure, but the paper talked about the fact that they had tapped trees all the way to 14 feet I believe.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

We have a line coming off a side hill that crosses our driveway, the trees are tapped high enough that the gas truck can pass beneath. May not be ideal, but nessesary and they always produce with 3/16. I dont like to tap off a ladder, especially when its icy, but we do what we have to do.
    4x12 arch
    new custom flues
    New custom front pan
    600 buckets town trees
    1500 3/16 taps
    D&G filterpress
    16x32 3rdgen canner
    member NYMPA
    Director American Maple Museum
    Director NNYMP COOP
    Asst. Chief BFFD
    Retired(now working for free)
    2015 Mahindra 70hp

While I have tapped a few trees high to gain slope, it is not an idea that helps get more sap total. As you tap higher in the tree the internal pressure drops, thus less sap will be gotten from that tap than if the tap was at 4-6' off the ground. But then, especially those on gravity need to gain some slope just to make collection possible or faster or simpler, there you need to balance the facts with your situation to decide what to do. Even with 3/16, the gain from natural vacuum does not quite make up for the pressure loss inside the tree, but it does help.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have taps as high as I can reach at my end lines and I think as lone as its a maple that has sap in it then its going on line. I have tapped with 2 feet of snow on the ground and wanting good tap height come tap pulling time I needed a ladder. Now I have a nice CDL 32" aluminum tap puller works great.

We typically have 3' of snow when we tap, so many of my taps are 8' to 9' from the ground. It can be a challenge when we pull taps after the snow leaves. I put an extension pipe on my tap puller so I can reach them all.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    While I have tapped a few trees high to gain slope, it is not an idea that helps get more sap total. As you tap higher in the tree the internal pressure drops, thus less sap will be gotten from that tap than if the tap was at 4-6' off the ground. But then, especially those on gravity need to gain some slope just to make collection possible or faster or simpler, there you need to balance the facts with your situation to decide what to do. Even with 3/16, the gain from natural vacuum does not quite make up for the pressure loss inside the tree, but it does help.

However keep in mind that you also get sweeter sap higher up since it has to travel thru more wood tissue from the ground up. It's not necessarily about how much sap, but how much sugar is in that sap. Considering the higher up you go less varmits can reach the lines also..
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

+ Reply to Thread