+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soft maples vs. hard maples

Default soft maples vs. hard maples

so I have a thought I was kicking around.... since soft maples tend to bud before sugar maples, is there any advantages to tap them earlier? been having some January thaws lately and was wondering if I should be more proactive to get on them instead of trying to wait out and see what February brings.
    Matthew Cross
    Madison, Ohio
    400 taps on vacuum with surge sp-22
    200 buckets
    30 x 10 leader max
    w/ enhanced steam away and Pre-heater

Other than the lower sugar content, why not? That's a great idea, sure makes sense to me.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBroMaple View Post
    so I have a thought I was kicking around.... since soft maples tend to bud before sugar maples, is there any advantages to tap them earlier? been having some January thaws lately and was wondering if I should be more proactive to get on them instead of trying to wait out and see what February brings.
    That is my exact plan. Have tapped my areas where the soft maples are the highest %. My thought is they be closest to shutting down when they'll be close to beginning to go "buddy". Haven't tapped my hard maples yet.
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

They still need the temperature swings that the sugars do to run so unless you are using a tubing system there is no real advantage to tapping them early.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

We average 3% on 15 silvers we tap each season, if thats low, I need more silvers

They would be on vacuum tubing. I just have been on the fence for early tapping but having a higher concentration of reds make me reconsider
    Matthew Cross
    Madison, Ohio
    400 taps on vacuum with surge sp-22
    200 buckets
    30 x 10 leader max
    w/ enhanced steam away and Pre-heater

I currently have about 700 taps on tubing with high vac and about 95% of my maples are all reds, the season lasts just about as long as sugars and it really dosnt get biddy, sounds weird but they actually just stop running. I have has great luck with reds so far, like john said, the sugar is a little lower but always seem to get at least a quart per tap.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Kh7722 View Post
    I currently have about 700 taps on tubing with high vac and about 95% of my maples are all reds, the season lasts just about as long as sugars and it really dosnt get biddy, sounds weird but they actually just stop running. I have has great luck with reds so far, like john said, the sugar is a little lower but always seem to get at least a quart per tap.
    Good luck
    I have about 700 taps on high vacuum here with about 90% of them being reds. I too get about a quart per tap and the season usually ends before they bud. Comparing my syrup to others that have all or mostly sugars I think mine has a better flavor. A local producer did a taste test last year and one of his samples was some golden syrup that I made. Most of the people that took the taste test walked away in disbelief because my golden syrup tasted so much better than the darker samples from other producers. Do you notice that too?
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Hey russ
    Yes i get the same feedback from our syrup, most people like the rich flavors that our trees produce. Actually i used to like the light fancy syrup more untill i started on this and we love it ( a little biased maybe?) but it is great. I actually spoke with you a few years back and you inspired me to tap all the reds i had, and am glad i did, i could care less about weather i tap reds or sugars they all make great products
    Thanks and have a great season!
    Kevin

I tapped my 3/16 lines today up on the back hill. About 100 taps on 5 runs. Did some repairs and added a few new trees.. all were running strong. Letting it go to ground until tomorrow to clean out the lines.

About 1/2 of these are reds and make fine syrup. I agree with Russ and Kevin on the taste. We too have had great tasting syrup from our woods, it's buttery is what most say. Must be a NE Ohio thing (wink)
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast