+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Bulk Price

Woodchuck,,,i was talking about the smaller producer like most of us here...the big guys are not geared to retailing and establishing a market for 25k gal ,,,thats real tough work and very time consuming,,and really you have to be a very special person to pull that stunt off and maintain your shelf space.....(agine i have the highest respect for packers as they have worked very hard to get what they have,,read bruces book,,,the dude works nonstop and took and takes huge risks constantly risking all he has worked HARD for...a 15 million dollar line of credit does not come without real collateral)
    Take the maple guild in island pond for example...with all their money,,with all the resourses availabel to them,,with going to food trade shows that are EXPENSIVE to attend how much of their crop have they been able to move? (Of course the way their syrup tastes might have something to do with it,,yes i have tasted it)...
    My brother bought me a small nip bottel of syrup at the king arthour flour shop in vt...the syrup was fancy in color but literaly made me gag,,i suppose the packer thought it was a good way to geg rid of nasty late season shemegma...not a good market building idea...(dont know who packed it)
    In reality its easier for a guy with 1000 gallons to sling his product retail than someone with 50 k taps.....imho.......and its eaiser to move product when it tastes good

That being said i do wish everyone the best of luck
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Woodchuck,,,i was talking about the smaller producer like most of us here...the big guys are not geared to retailing and establishing a market for 25k gal ,,,thats real tough work and very time consuming,,and really you have to be a very special person to pull that stunt off and maintain your shelf space.....(agine i have the highest respect for packers as they have worked very hard to get what they have,,read bruces book,,,the dude works nonstop and took and takes huge risks constantly risking all he has worked HARD for...a 15 million dollar line of credit does not come without real collateral)
    Take the maple guild in island pond for example...with all their money,,with all the resourses availabel to them,,with going to food trade shows that are EXPENSIVE to attend how much of their crop have they been able to move? (Of course the way their syrup tastes might have something to do with it,,yes i have tasted it)...
    My brother bought me a small nip bottel of syrup at the king arthour flour shop in vt...the syrup was fancy in color but literaly made me gag,,i suppose the packer thought it was a good way to geg rid of nasty late season shemegma...not a good market building idea...(dont know who packed it)
    In reality its easier for a guy with 1000 gallons to sling his product retail than someone with 50 k taps.....imho.......and its eaiser to move product when it tastes good

That being said i do wish everyone the best of luck
    It seems there is alot of yucky tasting syrup around which certainly won't grow the industry. We were at the Leader open house today and there was a bottle opened next to the coffee maker (apparently to put in coffee?) That syrup should not be on the table!!!!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

I believe the supply and demand right now is a huge problem. Big installs all over . That syrup has to be sold someplace. On the flip side marketing is I think a bigger problem. If you look at the geographical region of the world that syrup can be produced in we should all be running out. Education is going to be key. The industry is following suit to dairy and logging. Bigger better faster equipment and to much product. But I believe do to the small region of the world syrup can be produced in we may have some light at what seems like a long dark tunnel right now.

If you bottle your own syrup and it tastes gòod you have a real advantage over a large packer who blends lots of syrup together,,some good and some late season nasty when seĺling to customers where taste matters........plus you are going to have a better story to sell the syrup with as to where the syrup came from and how it was produced....therd are oppertunities in every market if you look for them
    Which syrup would you rather buy :" we made this syrup from our small familey farm where we carfuly tend our 4000 taps and boil on a traditional wood fired evaporator, come on by and check the sugarhouse out sometime
    Or
    "We buy syrup from many producers and mix it all together and we have a low price"
    The story you tell when you sell can make a differance
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Last edited by Scm; 04-11-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Woodchuck,,,i was talking about the smaller producer like most of us here...the big guys are not geared to retailing and establishing a market for 25k gal ,,,thats real tough work and very time consuming,,and really you have to be a very special person to pull that stunt off and maintain your shelf space.....

Although we agree on most points, re-consider Crown Maple and The Maple Guild (Island Pond). The primary function of each is to not make money. They are both now in the mass distribution channels (I saw one of them in WalMart). In my opinion, its the mass distribution and sudden availability of maple at a low price that will keep prices low. I wholesale all of our syrup, 1000 gals+ every year, and the one trend I'm noticing is that there is hardly a spot on the map that cant get maple syrup from their distributor. Once the scarcity and uniqueness is gone, all we've got left to sell is our own individual story, and if we're all doing that and cant/won't compete on price, it'll be some tough sleddin! ....If you're up this way, look me up,....
    4X12 A+A Evaporator
    2500 taps, 1200 GPH RO
    Atv w/tracks
    5 generations
    http://www.talbertsmaplefarm.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/TalbertsMapleFarm?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    It seems there is alot of yucky tasting syrup around which certainly won't grow the industry. We were at the Leader open house today and there was a bottle opened next to the coffee maker (apparently to put in coffee?) That syrup should not be on the table!!!!
    Mark I was there yesterday also and seen that syrup. Did you taste it?

amaranth farm Guest

Radio Silence.
    Last edited by amaranth farm; 04-06-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S.S View Post
    Mark I was there yesterday also and seen that syrup. Did you taste it?
    Yes we got there before 1. The first thing I did was take a spoon and sample that 1/2 pint. It made your mouth pucker thats for sure. I guess there was a reason it was obviously destined for coffee. Really though, syrup that taste like that should not be on anyones table! When Phil was making cream he was using his own syrup. Their syrup was top notch, very good tasting!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Yes we got there before 1. The first thing I did was take a spoon and sample that 1/2 pint. It made your mouth pucker thats for sure. I guess there was a reason it was obviously destined for coffee. Really though, syrup that taste like that should not be on anyones table! When Phil was making cream he was using his own syrup. Their syrup was top notch, very good tasting!
    I didn’t taste it I should of thou. Where you the guy with short hair and overalls on?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast