I apologize if this is already an active thread, but I couldn't find one with a few quick searches.

I am curious about the anticipated drop in bulk pricing for the 2018 season. I've heard widely that the price is expected to drop. I guess I'll find out more at this Saturday's maple conference in Hyde Park.

I don't think the Federal Reserve up in Quebec have posted their 2018 prices yet, but last year they were paying 2.95 a pound and 2.94 a pound for the top two grades. I don't imagine they will drop their price a whole lot, but maybe they will, I don't know. Their prices last year were the same as the previous year.

Some other factors I think of

-Canadian dollar is about 4 cents higher than it was this time last year (so this should result in a more favorable price paid to American producers)

-Quebec dominates the market and controls pricing to a strong degree through their reserve

-The reserve is meant to stabalize prices and it seems to work overall for Quebec producers, but our prices our dropping

Here is my question- Why do our syrup prices continue to drop despite the relatively steady price that Quebec has set over the last few years? In my unexperienced and unknowing mind, our bulk payment should be whatever it costs to buy imported Quebec syrup (taking into account exchange rate, obviously).

I feel I understand the recent oversupply issues that we have been facing, but given the stable existence of the reserve, why are American bulk prices dropping? Shouldn't the reserve temper that? What allows packers to pay American producers less than what they would have to pay syrup that comes from Quebec?

Thanks for any insight into this and good luck in the 2018 season.