+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Bulk Price

There are only a couple big bulk buyers over here that I know of, not much for competition.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-10-2018 at 01:09 PM.

For a while now those who have been around the business side of this have been saying that maple SUGAR is the future and that the market for it will be Asia and Europe first. I guess that's why we see big guys going in for 200k plus taps.
    173 on 3/16 natural vac for 2023
    36 buckets
    2 x 5 Smoky Lake Hybrid pan on a custom arch
    RB25 from RO Bucket
    12x24 salvaged sugarhouse built by wife's grandpa
    1965 Massey Ferguson 165 tractor to haul sap.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    The article states there was no carryover syrup from 2017 in his warehouse. It also says this: "Roth who has a 16,000-tap operation of his own was collecting sap for the first time on Monday and expecting to make the first new barrels of the season to fill his warehouse."

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that Roth is looking for syrup to buy...

I took it as, unlike Bascom's and other buyers/packers that claim they have carryover supply from 2017, Roth does not.
    Did read the part where he challenged people to put together a trailer load of Syrup because it couldn’t be done? That’s not true if you need the syrup bad enough because there is a lot in storage by people hoping that the price will go up.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Did read the part where he challenged people to put together a trailer load of Syrup because it couldn’t be done? That’s not true if you need the syrup bad enough because there is a lot in storage by people hoping that the price will go up.
    The article is about the Midwest.... “The supply of syrup in the Midwest is non-existent,” Roth said. “I don’t see the surplus that everybody talks about.”

I took the whole article as referring to the season in the Midwest, which is where I assume Roth primarily purchases syrup from. I also took it as Wisconsin and the Midwest are having a late season so the supply of syrup is limited, hence the challenge of putting together a load of syrup...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

From the Maple News April page 31 "Roth went as far as to say the U.S. market was completely dry, even in the Northeast. In the U.S. there is no surplus."

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    From the Maple News April page 31 "Roth went as far as to say the U.S. market was completely dry, even in the Northeast. In the U.S. there is no surplus."
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the article BAP shared or a different Maple News article.... If he does think there is no available syrup in the northeast, he is crazy...
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I just checked the Maple News that came today and that is what it said.

for quite some time, it has been clear that the bulk prices are controlled by a select group of people, including the Federation of Quebec Maple Syrup Producers, (FQMSP for short) aka: Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec, FPAQ. Obviously, controlling 60+% of the syrup in the world has its perks, but a handful south of the border as well. To explore this thoroughly, one would have to be willing to go down the rabbit hole and discuss certain quality control and regulatory elements that are missing north of the border, but alas - another post for sure.

I would have to grow more hands (and feet) to count the number of times that a certain NH packer proclaimed that the prices would be depressed - only those may not always be the exact words used...you do have to be able to read between the lines....Surplus, banner year, stable... All code for: we are not raising the price.

While I would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that the FQMSP has absolutely contributed to the stabilization of global syrup marketing/prices and assisted to level the price through good years and bad, but similarly to the current Canadian Dairy scene, where USA farmers are going out of business and Canadian ones are "thriving", there is a cost to releasing the control to a few.

The surest way to raise the bulk prices, is for every producer that runs right to the packers in April to offload their "surplus" to not do so. Not only would this immediately trigger a supply and demand cycle, but it would disallow the packers the luxury of gauging the total available production and would raise prices.

Off my soapbox.
    A family of maple heads
    Father has over 15,000 taps
    Brother has 2,000 taps
    I'm just the help!!

bobbyjake, well said.
    Sell at retail and make the money yourself is my plan. I'm glad I'm not in the position that I can't hold my syrup and retail it all. Those who put them selves in the position that the need the lump sum check ASAP contribute to the low bulk prices and I agree, many bulk buyers may spread the surplus supply thought to keep prices low(er).
    I can recall, the first year I ever sold bulk syrup was in 2008, that year it was a seller's market. I negotiated with Bruce Bascom and got $3.00/lb regardless of grade. Even after that I saw the benefit of selling retail and expanded my retail efforts. I now retail every drop and even buy some bulk to meet my needs. I only sell bulk if I make any Commercial grade.
    Do not contact me to buy more, I have already made all of my purchases or made my commitment to buy, besides, my scale is still only a drop in the bucket compared to what you larger producers are making.
    The large producers will do well to put effort into retail, either yourself or an employee, either part time or full time depending on the amount you need to move at retail.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

We just shipped a pallet of quarts and pints to Wyoming for my brother to sell. We're having a record year so we've opted to find more markets. We've never bulk wholesaled, never will. We will add another 3-500 taps next year if this works out. We keep expanding our retail market opportunities, I'll be ****ed if I'm giving it away.
    Greene Maple Farm Sebago, Maine
    7 Generations of Maple Syrup
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...01122259971904

Phillip View Farm
    Sebago, Maine
    30 Highland Cattle
    2 Alpacas, numerous pigs
    Chickens, lots of chickens
    http://www.facebook.com/atgreenetrac...hillipViewFarm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast