+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018

I did my first processing run here on Monday, boiled off 50 gallons and got everything dialed in. Simple repetition from now on. I have just 30 gallons sap in inventory, will process that plus any that can be collected today. No trees dripped yesterday, a poor weather day lower 30s, cloudy and breezy with light snow all day. Ready to go out and fire up the arch after I finish this.

It has been a slow, sporadic run this year so far and I am fine with it. No pressure. Sap run will continue to be off and on as long as days are cloudy and temps only reach mid 30s. I have had only two days reach lower 40s in the last 9 days when several were forecasted for lower 40s and two were supposed to reach upper 40s. Actual daytime highs have consistently been around 5 degrees lower than forecast every day. Weather forecasting seems to be getting less and less accurate.

Every tree is running but the few taps on north sides of trunks have not given a drop. Only the top inch of soil is thawed for the most part, deeper frost pull-out in lawn areas, though. Ground in woods is still froze up solid but trees are running. Deep frost depth this year from the very cold snaps we had back in December/January when there was not much snow on the ground...
    Been that, done there.

Had a surprise yesterday kids went and collected 90 gallons of sap a lot more trees must have started flowing was only expecting about 30 to 40 gallons.
    Home made RO thanks to MapleTrader
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

4010 That is a good surprise! I had a different one today, my dad went to collect this noon and my 20+ bags at the local church were slashed!

Starting to let loose around here too!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by 212Maple View Post
    4010 That is a good surprise! I had a different one today, my dad went to collect this noon and my 20+ bags at the local church were slashed!
    Sorry to hear about that. Probably some ignorant basement dwelling enviroweenie thinking he was saving those trees. Or perhaps your local chapter of antifa (all two members) ran out of other things to vandalize.

Set up a trail cam...
    Last edited by TooManyIrons...; 03-22-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    Been that, done there.

4010 That is a good surprise! I had a different one today, my dad went to collect this noon and my 20+ bags at the local church were slashed

212maple sorry to here about that, otherwise how do you like using bags?
    Home made RO thanks to MapleTrader
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

4010 all in all the bags work very well, I have had some issues with furry tailed tree rats (squirrels) in the past but they seem to be leaving the bags alone this year for the most part. I make sure to leave a couple inches in the bags so that if we get a strong wind the bags don't fly off the trees. Even with the vandalism I was able to collect and process 330 gallons last night.

Finished off the first batch, ended up with 3 gallons of dark amber. Not the best syrup I have ever made but it tastes decent enough. I am expecting better with the second batch as the steam smelled wonderful while boiling yesterday. Still got a day of processing before I finish off the second batch, I do two days processing for each batch then I start fresh.

First production run ended up being approximately a 27:1 ratio, right in the middle of the range I usually get of between 25:1 and 30:1.
    Been that, done there.

Have collected 40 gallons from 23 taps on 3/16th in 6 days.
    Just tapped 8 more trees yesterday and have 2 gallons from those.
    It’s been a slow start.
    I saw a first steady flow of sap today of that line but only lasted an hour or so.
    Other than that, it’s been drip, drip, drip.
    I have some black walnuts and may tap those for fun.
    Planing on boiling down second batch Sunday and hoping I can get up to 50 gallons of sap for that.

Drew off 4 gallons for our second boil of the season. Nice tasting medium amber. Flow here continues to improve, with the tubing running late into the night. Will have plenty for another boil on Sunday.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast