+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018

Hi everyone!

I concur with the prediction of fairly "normal" tapping times. There's plenty of frost in the ground in my neck of the woods. I was hoping this year snowboots would be optional but alas this next week is looking to upset those plans.

I'm throwing my hat in the ring this year on an RO build, and am nowhere near done, so I'm grateful its not an early season! We'll see how this experiment goes.

Happy prepping, everyone!
    Dan
    -11 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -250 taps on buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack

I have made the decision to tap this weekend. Should be a good time with the snow and all, but it is really the only free weekend I have for a awhile now. I was looking back at last year and I had already boiled a couple hundred gallons of sap by this time last year. Trying to guess the runtime is almost as hard as trying to predict the weather. Anyone else headed out soon to tap?

I set 900 taps last weekend and plan to set as many as possible Tomorow and have everything tapped by next Wednesday. I know its a little early but im a one man crew who works full time. Everthing i have will be on new taps and vaccum. If i was doing buckets or bags i would wait a while yet. Good luck everyone!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12