+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018

Hybrid View

Hi everyone!

I concur with the prediction of fairly "normal" tapping times. There's plenty of frost in the ground in my neck of the woods. I was hoping this year snowboots would be optional but alas this next week is looking to upset those plans.

I'm throwing my hat in the ring this year on an RO build, and am nowhere near done, so I'm grateful its not an early season! We'll see how this experiment goes.

Happy prepping, everyone!
    Dan
    -15 years sugaring and counting - hoping to create a tradition my kids will always remember
    -400 taps, mostly buckets (Silver Maples + a few Boxelders just for the heck of it)
    -Custom-built 2x6 evap with Smoky Lake Maple raised flue, boiling in dad's old farm granary, now converted to sugar shack
    -Cobbled-together RO with XLE4040 membrane
    -New in 2021: experimenting with 3/16 tubing & a Shurflo pump.

I have made the decision to tap this weekend. Should be a good time with the snow and all, but it is really the only free weekend I have for a awhile now. I was looking back at last year and I had already boiled a couple hundred gallons of sap by this time last year. Trying to guess the runtime is almost as hard as trying to predict the weather. Anyone else headed out soon to tap?

I set 900 taps last weekend and plan to set as many as possible Tomorow and have everything tapped by next Wednesday. I know its a little early but im a one man crew who works full time. Everthing i have will be on new taps and vaccum. If i was doing buckets or bags i would wait a while yet. Good luck everyone!!

I just tapped my 5 30" Silver Maples. This is my 3rd year. First year was my beer set up boiling 1 hour per gallon. That was an experience. I got about 3/4 of a gallon that year. I just pulled the taps after two weeks because I got sick of it. Last year was a cinderblock arch and again I pulled the taps after 2 weeks because I just couldn't keep up the storage space. I had 5 5-gallon buckets on the trees and then another 5 5-gallon buckets full of sap and several 3-gallons as well. I just didn't have enough snow or containers. That was about 5-6 gallons per hour and I could keep up.

This year I have 2 55-gallon drums for storage in addition to the 25 gallons I can keep on the trees. I added a 3rd steamer pan and hooked up a blower to the arch. This should be my best year. I am hoping to gather enough this week for a test run next weekend. Then, I leave for Spring break right about the time the weather gets best. I have the two 55 gallon drums under my best producing trees. Those two trees were easily producing 5 gallons per day on the good days last year. I hope that over my 5 days in San Diego, they shouldn't overflow. I should be able to come back from my trip to roughly 100 gallons of sap to boil over two days before I have to go back to work. I am really looking forward to a good year. This will be the first year I am actually collecting and boiling into March.

I'm a bit excited to put my new equipment to the test! Good luck all!

I think we will be able to wait until at least March 10th to start tapping.
    2017 160 on 3/16th

2x6 homemade arch

2x4 copper drop tube flue pan

sawmill shed converted to sugar shack

I am 20 miles south of St. Cloud and have one tap in. Nothing in the bucket yet. Very different from last year.
    2016 - 17 Taps, some elm's no clue. . .. .
    2017 - 34 Taps, All Maples
    2018 - 45 Taps, 7.4 gallons

I live an hour north of the twin city’s. Had my 2 test taps dripping sap yesterday. I still think I’m gonna hold off till next weekend to tap. I’m switching all my drop lines and buckets over to bags this year. It’s gonna cost a little bit more money but the end of the season clean up will be so much easier

Buddy taoped trees yesterday in Sioux Falls and they were flowing. I'm going this weekend.

SDdave
    It's not the size of the tree...it's what inside that counts!

Was out installing the last of my drop lines today and seen one tree leaking a little sap, otherwise any broken limbs and branches I've noticed are all dry yet. Planning on getting everything tapped by next weekend. I'm located in NE corner of Ottertail and SE corner of Becker county line.

Went out this morning to put in some test taps and a few were dripping so since it was a nice day and not being sure if I will be gone next weekend I tapped most of my trees a little over 100 taps.
    Mike
    Home made RO thanks to MapleTrader
    2 LP fish fryers
    2013 5 gallons syrup
    2014 14 gallons syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast