+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tapped 1/19/2018

Default Tapped 1/19/2018

I tapped a handful of trees this past Friday and this past Sunday and the sap was flowing well up until yesterday.Now the trees pretty much shut down. Waiting game now until the temps due their magic again. As of yesterday, from the 15 taps, I have 35 gallons with the hopes of another 10 or so for Saturday's 1st boil to give me on honest gallon of finished early gold.

!st Sap-Jan 22-2018-1.jpgsap-1-23-2018-2web..jpg
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Valleyman - I love your "still here, after trying to kick the habit". Same here. I do mostly teaching of sugaring and I volunteer at Brooksvale Park in Hamden. I am semi-retired. Trudged through snow last year to tap my daughter's trees in a rental home. No access this year. I said...I'll just teach as I still have syrup left for home use. But alas, I saw the temps and I tapped my 3 reds, a friends huge red and my son's 2 sugar maples we discovered when they bought a house last year! Grandchildren to teach now you know. I've ordered a 16x16 finishing/bottling set-up so I don't peel the paint in my house! Once you're hooked on the sweet stuff, you're hooked. I know. Enjoy!
    Tanta Kirsten - Sugarmaker
    Walker Sugarworks - Hamden
    www.kirstenwalker.com

You guys up north slay me! Ha! Never thought I'd be saying that.

Weekend turned out ok. Each day was torture, it was too warm, but over the whole weekend collected enough to finish another four gallons. Thursday looks good if the temps hold anywhere close to predicted (fingers crossed and I'm not holding my breath), so the early part of the season, while not a rousing success, will get me halfway to my goals and be just sporadic enough to remember everything I forgot. Which seems to be a little more, every year.

+ Reply to Thread