+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Guidance

Default Need Some Guidance

Hello,

Been kicking the idea of getting into the maple sugar hobby for sometime now. Been reading and watching as much reference material as I can. We plan on starting small and keeping it small scale here in NE Pennsylvania. I figure this is the year to give it a go and since we just moved to a new home with some land we may just have a little luck.

I am looking at tapping 3-4 trees and there are no leaves this time of year. Attached are some pictures of the bark and one shot of the branches with appear to be opposite. All of the trees are displaying the opposite branching. I know it is easier with the leaves but want to be sure before the prime time hits here in mid Feb. I am figuring each tree is about 50+" circumference and appear to be healthy.

Any help and advice would GREATLY be appreciated and I thank you in advance for your support!!

tree3.jpgtree2.jpgtree1.jpgtree4.jpg

Definitely opposite branching and are maples. #1 I'm not sure, could be sugar, but 2 and 4 look more like reds. 50" circumference = approx 17" diameter. Once you get up to 18"+diameter or about 55" circumference on a good healthy tree, 2 taps should be fine
    Last edited by Mark B; 01-24-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

Are those pictures recent? What concerns me is the apparent large bud at the tips of many of the branches. Maples will not have such a bud show this early, especially, a sugar maple. The soft maples like Reds and Silvers get the bud earlier, but still not this early.
    I have issue with those, I wonder if they are some sort of nut tree, many of which also have opposite branching. That being said, the picture with your hand showing the side plate peal certainly appears to be a mature sugar maple. Unless the picture of the top branches is the same tree.
    Also a sugar maple would have far more dense branching. If you look at the pic of the branches the one in the foreground is not, but looking thru to the adjacent tree branches that may well be a maple.
    Last edited by maple flats; 01-24-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I tap primarily reds. Many of my reds have had buds like that since November and they do every year. Other reds have much smaller buds until spring time. Seems as though theres quite a bit of variability in bud size even among the same species. I agree, however, with buds that size at this time of year thats not a sugar. I'd tap 'em if it were me.

A second thing that make me think those are not reds or sugars is that the branch density on the closeup of the top, a healthy maple has more branches.
    I have a few reds I tap, and none of them have upper limbs that look like that, but I have butternuts the do.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Looks like reds to me. Look around on the ground for old leaves is another clue.
    Darren

Tapped 100 % Red maple for 14 years.
    Grew from 22 trees to 325.
    New woodlot and sugarwoods will have 3-4000 taps.
    3x8 LaPierre raised flue already bought and waiting patiently in storage.
    Looking forward to using 3/16" tubing.
    Can't wait for 2019!!!

All good points. Snow has melted away. I'm going to look at the leaves on the ground tomorrow. I will try to get better pictures of the branches.

Welcome HondoLane! My silver maples look just like your photos do - shaggy bark and large open canopies. They constantly shed branches with every wind storm. Kind of a lawn clean-up pain, however, they have been excellent sap producers for me over the years. One of them even gives me 6% sugar in the sap when the conditions are good. Tap those trees, just make sure that you are getting into the good wood of the tree as the shaggy bark can be pretty thick. ENJOY!!!

The buds on the silver maples are large even in November, so don't be worried that they look fat in January. I usually pull my silver maple taps about a week before the sugar maples are done and have never experienced 'buddy sap' doing that.
    Last edited by Run Forest Run!; 01-27-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Ok. Took a closer look since the snow melted. Found some leaves in the area.
    IMG_0599.jpg

That looks like a red maple. It's close to a black maple, leaf-wise, but the lobes are not as deep and are more rounded on the black.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast